engine convertion

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

gaz

engine convertion

Post by gaz »

im looking at doing an engine convertion in my 2001 lanos hatch. i got the 1.5L SOHC and wanting to put in a 2L DOHC motor. does anyone no what is a good motor to use and if they bolt straight in. any help would be great! thanks guys.
gaz
benzino
Expert

Re: engine convertion

Post by benzino »

Yes. Please search. Plenty of threads about this. Come post when you have unanswered questions.
~2.0L Lanos~EHPAS~H&R Springs~KYB/GTS Shocks~
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

it depends where do you live on the planet... and yes the search function will give you enough results to cover most if not all your questions

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
gaz

Post by gaz »

I live in Australia. I did a bit of google reaserch and have a feeling the 2L Holden astra turbo motor might work but unsure due to the fact it's a european car and it's an Australian motor. The C20let I think it is is what I want but not sire how I will get one here. Any ideas?
benzino
Expert

Post by benzino »

well you didn't really search daewootech now, did you?
the astra turbo motor is the the Z20let/r/h
the calibra turbo motor is the c20let

they are pretty much all australian motors...
what you need to be thinking about is engine mounts, gearbox choice, and engine management used

the easiest swap you can do is the 2.0L from a daewoo nubira or leganza or tacuma (C/X20sed)
the wiring is very similar to the lanos and easy to patch in

for any 2.0L swap, you will need a new front engine mount
Garrett (GSE_Turbo) can supply these at a very reasonable price

for a turbo swap I would suggest not using the 1.5l gearbox, even though it will bolt up
the M32 from the new holden cruze bolts up but are expensive
if you are going for astra turbo power, use the gearbox that comes with it, however you will need to change actuation and linkage setups

brakes, you can go for k-sport BBK http://www.ksport.com.au/brand%20brake/ ... -opel.html
any of the 4x100 will fit
but you will need bigger wheels

the best way to search the website is use google and type in "site:daewootech.com [what you want to search for]" without the brackets or quotation marks like this: http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&s ... .1.0.3l5l0

start thinking about:
1. what's your budget
2. can you afford to have the car off the road for an extended period of time
3. are you wanting to go factory management or aftermarket
4. can you source the donor vehicle cheaply and easily
5. do you want to be able to roadworthy/engineer the car
gaz

Post by gaz »

ahh well now you said i can search like that will make it easier. and i was going to upgrade trans, wheels, brakes, shocks, and new about the wiring. budget isnt really a huge problem if it comes down to it i will jsut save some more haha. with the daewoo 2L pretty easy for the turbo upgrade as well? and i would like to have the car roadworthy once its finished which is also limiting power and alot of things i want to do with the car. its a pretty hardcore project once it starts. and really want it to be a show and go car due to the fact i dont think there is one with the convertion and turbo in south australia and if there is i would love to see it!
but thanks for help it has made the planning alot easier. and will hopefully keep everyone posted on the project.
benzino
Expert

Post by benzino »

in all honesty, you will have to be very dedicated to drop a whole heap of money on a lanos
especially when you can get an astra turbo for under $15k (I have a friend who's selling a beauty for $13k)

so there's another 2.0L in SA? I thought I was the only one in Oz.. hahaha :lol:
damn!
gaz

Post by gaz »

Yeah I no I can get an astra but it just wouldn't be the same haha. Plus I need to buy a work at the start of next year and the lanos was free so thought why not do it up and be the only one with a 2L haha. Looked into it and found out a few have already done it. Including yourself. There goes my idea of a one of a kind haha. But if you have already done the convertion would be a good idea to keep in contact with you haha
benzino
Expert

Post by benzino »

where did you find the others that have done it?
gaz

Post by gaz »

I new of the one somewhere over eastern oz but think it's yours haha. 1 from qld and I think Perth. Have a look on car domain.com.au and type in austrlia for the area. There's a few daewoos there but only like 3 or so with the 2L. Should put mine on there so people can follow the project along with me and give me pointers haha.
benzino
Expert

Post by benzino »

can you link them?
I couldn't find one lanos in australia on cardomain, let alone 3!
gaz

Post by gaz »

really? i swear i saw them haha.
i find it easier to find other lanos's done up in oz than i do trying to get fog lights!!! haha. cant find any brackets or anything that will fit haha
i will have a look and link them up for ya man.