Air bag light?

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

Me

Air bag light?

Post by Me »

i was driving on the freeway and the airbag light just popped on. ive unpluged the battery and still got the code. i was wondering if any of you have had this come on before because i see them all the time on newer vw s
well i geuss this is just a sign to get that sparco steering wheel i always wanted :D (didnt want one before because i didnt want to lose the airbag but if its not going to deploy than why bother)
TheGreatAndPowerfulOz
All Powerful

Post by TheGreatAndPowerfulOz »

The air bag light in my Lanos came on and I took the car back to the dealer for warranty service. 2 weeks later, the air bag light came back on and I took the car back again. BUT the second time I took it back, the car was no longer under warranty as I had exceeded 36,000 miles. They told me it was the air bag module and a new one will cost me almost $700 + labor.

I have decided to take the air bag module out of my parts car and swap it with the bad one in my car and see if that works.

Good luck with either fixing the problem or with your new steering wheel.

Cliff
daftmajin
Expert

Post by daftmajin »

ITS A RECALL YOU CAN GET IT FIXED FOR FREE! the Kia dealer fixed mine.
99 A16DMS m/t Lanos 3dr
Eng:APC/DaewooTech.Net/Magnecor/NGK/Optima/Ractive/Unique Motorsports/powdercoated valve cover/removed intake resonator
Susp:Intrax/KYB
Rollers:Falken/Rage
Ext:Dan's Decals/mesh grille/OEM wing&foglights
ICE:Audiobahn/Pioneer
Me

Post by Me »

its a recall?
when was it first because i got the one in the mail about the camshaft positioning senser like 6 months ago
BosnianLanos
Expert

Post by BosnianLanos »

There was a recall a few years back, so if you aren't the first owner, chances are the recall has already been done by the previous owner. The recall was only for the brackets that support the passenger air bag and wouldn't be the reason for the air bag light coming on. But be sure to get that checked out anyway.

My airbag light is on too... :( . But that was from me and my dash removal. But for me, it isn't worth replacing the airbag unless I can fix it myself.
daftmajin
Expert

Post by daftmajin »

BosnianLanos wrote:The recall was only for the brackets that support the passenger air bag and wouldn't be the reason for the air bag light coming on. But be sure to get that checked out anyway.
My airbag light was on too! Then they fixed the recall and it went away... so yeah it could be a reason.
99 A16DMS m/t Lanos 3dr
Eng:APC/DaewooTech.Net/Magnecor/NGK/Optima/Ractive/Unique Motorsports/powdercoated valve cover/removed intake resonator
FoRk
Junior

Post by FoRk »

when my airbag light came on, i took it to the dealer and they said that it wasnt a recall and it would cost me to fix it, so i just took out the airbag light in the dash, then after i did that i got the notice for a recall a few months later... bastards. it never got fixed but oh well.

and the recall for the crankshaft sensor thing, could it be the same as the mitsu eclipses enigne problem, crank walk???
95 Eclipse GS-Turbo
mods: Greddy Type-S BOV, Greddy Intercooler Piping, Injen Intake, Act 2100 Clutch, Act Xact flywheel, Apexi N1 Downpipe and Catback Exhaust, MCB Set to 16 PSI, BuddyClub2 Bodykit (Not Installed) and Greddy FMIC(not installed)
BosnianLanos
Expert

Post by BosnianLanos »

daftmajin wrote:
BosnianLanos wrote:The recall was only for the brackets that support the passenger air bag and wouldn't be the reason for the air bag light coming on. But be sure to get that checked out anyway.
My airbag light was on too! Then they fixed the recall and it went away... so yeah it could be a reason.

I doubt that had anything to do with it, metal brackets wouldn't affect the circuitry of the air bag light. They probabally changed the brackets and then cleared your light for you so you wouldn't say that it was them that tripped the light.
daftmajin
Expert

Post by daftmajin »

well, i have cleared my codes with a Snap-On MODIS on numerous occasions and it didn't make the airbag light disappear. but... ya never know. probably a different sector on the ECM that controls the airbag light.
99 A16DMS m/t Lanos 3dr