How do i replace the camshaft position sensor?

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

RhinoWrecker

How do i replace the camshaft position sensor?

Post by RhinoWrecker »

Does anybody know how to replace the camshaft position sensor? I have bought one and it's ready to be replaced but I don't know how to take it out, can anybody help me out?
Chip

Re: How do i replace the camshaft position sensor?

Post by Chip »

RhinoWrecker wrote:Does anybody know how to replace the camshaft position sensor? I have bought one and it's ready to be replaced but I don't know how to take it out, can anybody help me out?

Hello RhinoWrecker,

Here is the verbage from the service manual. Hopefully this helps. I wish I could post the illustrations, but I don't have a place to host them. Let me know if you need anything further.

CAMSHAFT POSITION SENSOR
Removal Procedure
1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
2. Remove the engine cover.
3. Disconnect the sensor electrical connector.
4. Remove the timing belt front cover. Refer to Section
1C, DOHC Engine Mechanical.
5. Remove the camshaft position sensor bolts.
6. Remove the camshaft position sensor from the top.

Installation Procedure
1. Install the camshaft position sensor and bolts.
Tighten
Tighten the camshaft position bolts to 8 Nm (71 lb?
in).
2. Install the timing belt front cover, the crankshaft
pulley, the accessory drive belt, and the air filter.
Refer to Section 1C, DOHC Engine Mechanical.
3. Connect the sensor electrical connector.
4. Install the engine cover.
5. Connect the negative battery cable.

-Chip
Chip Doeden
Boshart Motorsports
www.b-moto.com
RhinoWrecker

Post by RhinoWrecker »

Thanks Chip,

I asked Gm Car Parts for some help but they said that they could only give me parts, not advice. I think I broke something on the good side. I know, when has anybody broken something, and it turning up to be good, well I have. I didnt know that the sensor had bolts, so there i am jiggling the sensor, back and forth, and back and forth, till it gets really loose, i mean really loose. So I try to pull it out with the plyers and it wont budge. So then I touch the sensor and it was very easy to rock back and forth. I just gave up and connected the sensor back, and I thought it was not going to run, I even had my mechanic on his way to my house. I crank the car, and it runs. I have been driving it all day today and it works better than when I bought it off a previous owner. The check engine light does not light up anymore, and I dont know if I should return the new sensor to Gm.

Has anybody experienced this? :roll:

Once again thanks Chip!!!! :lol:
RhinoWrecker

Post by RhinoWrecker »

Thanks Chip,

I asked Gm Car Parts for some help but they said that they could only give me parts, not advice. I think I broke something on the good side. I know, when has anybody broken something, and it turning up to be good, well I have. I didnt know that the sensor had bolts, so there i am jiggling the sensor, back and forth, and back and forth, till it gets really loose, i mean really loose. So I try to pull it out with the plyers and it wont budge. So then I touch the sensor and it was very easy to rock back and forth. I just gave up and connected the sensor back, and I thought it was not going to run, I even had my mechanic on his way to my house. I crank the car, and it runs. I have been driving it all day today and it works better than when I bought it off a previous owner. The check engine light does not light up anymore, and I dont know if I should return the new sensor to Gm.

Has anybody experienced this? :roll:

Once again thanks Chip!!!! :lol:
Adam454ss
Junior

Camshaft replacement

Post by Adam454ss »

I have changed a cam sensor on my wife's nubira. I had to remove the pass. motor mount in order to do it. Raise the car and support it on jack stands. Then support the engine from underneath and remove it. If the Leganza is like the Nubira the Cam sensor is between the camshaft sprockets, correct? If so, you will have to remove the serpentine belt and then the belt cover. Now you will understad why I said "Raise and support the vehicle" There are lower belt cover bolts that are a pain to get at if the car is not raised. Once the cover is removed you will see the camshaft sensor sitting recessed between the cam gears. You will see a torque head bolt, not to fret though, if memory serves me correctly, a 1/4" deep socket on a 1/4" drive 6" extension will reach and remove the bolt. Now you just have to put it back together. When you get to reinstalling the motor mount you may have to grab the back of the motor, side closest to the fire wall, and "rotate towards you to line up the holes. Just have the nuts at hand to quickly put them on the studs. (okay get your mind out of the gutter! ) Once everything is on you have to reset the computer to erase the code. Mine reset it self after I ran it for a few minutes. But that was just me!
This should take you, if taking your time, about 4 hours from start to finish.

Good luck!
When in doubt, FLOOR it!!!