forged internals

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

Lostinconformiti

forged internals

Post by Lostinconformiti »

i have a t22sed leganza. i am going to be getting forged internals soon and i need to know if when in looking at parts if there are any other cars that i can look at the internals to as well so i am not extremely limited. i know this has probably been asked a million times over.

im hoping to find a crank, rods, pistons, valves, springs, and cams.

thanks guys i preciate it.
soon to have my daewoo back on the road.
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Parts for the 2.2L are harder to get.

I have yet to find an aftermarket crank for this engine that won't cost me some incredible amount of money.

The only high end 2.2L crank I found was 5000 EURO

The 2.0L cranks are made by several manufacturers in Europe but they are also pretty expensive $2000 and up.

Rods are easy.... you can get them from a half dozen manufacturers.

Pistons are the easiest part to find as everybody makes 86mm forged pistons.

Valves,springs and cams are shared with the 2.0L so they are easy to find.

I guess it comes down to how much money you want to spend on the engine and what kind of modifications you want to do ( naturally aspirated vs nitrous vs turbocharger vs supercharger )

Other engines that have the same bore size are the Nissan SR20DET, Honda K20, Mazda FE3, Chev Ecotec

I think the best set of custom forged rods I found were somewhere in the range of $600 USD which is fairly reasonable.

They will probably set you back between $600 and $1000 depending on features and the name of the manufacturer.

With a custom set of rods you could use the pistons from an SR20DET if you wanted.... its just a matter of calculating the difference in compression height
( distance from the center of the pin to the top surface of the piston)

From there you can find a corresponding connecting rod.

For example (not real numbers ) lets say that it's 7.000" from the center of the rod to the top of the factory piston.

This is important to keep this exactly the same or you will change the compression as well as important things like quench areas.

So say from the center of the pin in your piston to the top of the piston is 1.5" from factory

That means the rod must be 5.5" long from the center of the big hole to the center of the little hole.

So now lets say you want to use SR20DET pistons and you find that they have a compression height of 1" instead of 1.5"

Then you simply order custom rods that are 6" long instead of 5.5"

So....
Stock = 5.5" + 1.5" = 7"
Custom = 6" + 1" = 7"

Even small changes can have very drastic effects so it's very important that you do your homework and make sure the combination of piston and rod will work with your engine.
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos