Plans for the Aveo

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

Brian5475E
Expert

Plans for the Aveo

Post by Brian5475E »

Well I deceided what I am going to do. I need to find the 10.5:1 pistons for the 1.6. gonna stick those in. Build the interface and intall the dis-2, and hopefully find cams. Already working on a header. So hopefully I can get to 150hp
Aveo that moves! Now I need those cams!
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

are their 10.5:1 pistons for a T20SED??

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
ubuyau
Expert

Post by ubuyau »

A high compression NA Aveo - its different for sure. Lumpy cams would give that a mean gurgle exhaust note i believe!

You wouldnt consider making a low boost turbo setup? You'd hit that hp number, but you'd get that torque curve 8)

--Tim
frenchard101

Post by frenchard101 »

What is the compression ratio? Is that the ratio of air to fuel? I have an aveo and im willing to do anything to beef it up, let me in on your secrets
Brian5475E
Expert

Post by Brian5475E »

frenchard101 wrote:What is the compression ratio? Is that the ratio of air to fuel? I have an aveo and im willing to do anything to beef it up, let me in on your secrets
No. That is the compression ratio. I would advise you not to mess with internals unless you know engines. I'm just not to familier with the internals on this one. should be simple.
frenchard101

Post by frenchard101 »

im pretty familiar with engines, still learning some stuff though. i dont plan on messing with the internals of the engine until im really comfortable with it. I was just wondering what the 10.5 stands for. cause i know stock aveo has a 9.5 ratio, whatever it means
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

compression ratio is the ratio between the size of the combustion chamber at BDC and TDC... the bigger the ratio the more effecent your engine is.

MMamdouh
ubuyau
Expert

Post by ubuyau »

MMamdouh wrote:compression ratio is the ratio between the size of the combustion chamber at BDC and TDC... the bigger the ratio the more effecent your engine is.

MMamdouh
And with the higher compression, the more critical the air fuel ratio and timing becomes.

--Tim
frenchard101

Post by frenchard101 »

I see. So whats the purpose of lowering the compression for turboing? I was reading on some other threads of people adding 1mm to the gasket to lower it to about 8.5 for a turbo project
DomWoo
Expert

Post by DomWoo »

that is kinda like a no brainer question... you want ot lower the compression because a turbo is a compressor and pressurizes the combustion chamber at BDC (bottom dead center) and with its a TDC the compression is much greater. that is why you want ot lower it with a turbo
frenchard101

Post by frenchard101 »

well there ya go, you learn something new every day
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Re: Plans for the Aveo

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Brian5475E wrote:Well I deceided what I am going to do. I need to find the 10.5:1 pistons for the 1.6. gonna stick those in. Build the interface and intall the dis-2, and hopefully find cams. Already working on a header. So hopefully I can get to 150hp
If I were you I'd research the X16XE as I think it came with 10.5:1 compression allready.

I also think the lift on the X16XE cams is lower due to the higher compression.

If you want to do it right you have to have some custom pistons made by JE (or another reputable manufacturer)

What you do is put in your new cam (assuming more lift than factory) and then add soft clay to the top of your factory piston.

Then you carefully rotate it around and it leaves valve impressions in your clay on top of your piston.

Then you measure everything out and give that info to JE and they will model you a new set of pistons which will clear the higher lift valves.

I'm just trying to think of everything they need..... Deck height to stock piston height, gasket thickness, chamber volume.... I think that's it.... I'd have to check into it further.

The best bet is to have a reputable shop set up the pistons for you..... not sure on the cost..... probably a few hundred bucks to get the dimensions figured out.

It might be tempting to take the X16XE pistons and machine out larger valve relief sections but that will weaken the piston... especially if your adding 2 or 3 millimeters of lift.

I wonder if any of the UK/Europe companies allready have piston/cam combinations...... that would be the best if they did as they would have allready done all the work ahead of time.

The biggest problem with UK stuff is it's so darn expensive...... seems like twice the price of what we would pay in many cases.
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos
Brian5475E
Expert

Post by Brian5475E »

The 1.6L with the higher comporession pistons have the same bore and stroke as the Aveo. If your talking about wrist pin height, I can't see why it would be different. I'll just have to get a piston from a Aveo and a x16xe
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

MMamdouh wrote:are their 10.5:1 pistons for a T20SED??

MMamdouh
BUMP!

MMamdouh
Efratech
Admin

Post by Efratech »

mmamdouh, you can use XE pistons and rods on a 20SED its been said before
'88 Pontiac Lemans GTE - 2.0 16v XE - fully programable ECU, Custom made intake manifold and other bits.
146.6WHP/135lb.ft - 14.81@94mph