Oxygen sensor - exchange with another type?

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

Damic

Oxygen sensor - exchange with another type?

Post by Damic »

Lanos 1.5 2001, stock oxygen sensor with one wire. As far as I know, O2 sensor with heating element (four wires) are better as they sooner reach desireable working temperature of about 600 degrees Celsius.

As I drive mainly in busy town, short distances between 3 and 6km (2 to 4 miles), O2 sensor usualy reach working temperature when I finish the trip. So, the sensor work in cold enviroment and do not give the proper impuls to ECU.

Therefore I am wondering, whether it is possible to change stock O2 sensor (1 wire) with substitute sensor with heating element (4 wire) in order to get better engine performance sooner.

Also, anybody knows, are two wires (usualy white color) for heating connected all time when the engine working or is there any thermo-switch installed. :roll:
Lanos 1,5 sedan 2001, LPG Lovato-Loveco Pro
Damic

Post by Damic »

Well, I have the answer on this question from one of my domestic forum. Yes, it is possible and easy to replace the stock 1 wire O2 sensor with heated oxygen sensor type. Two wires from sensor for heated purposes are permanently connected on voltage during the engine work.

So, next time when I should replace the oxygen sensor, it will be the type with 4 (or 3) wires.

I found interesting information that O2 heated sensor can reach working temperature for excellent 9 seconds and that the upper limit us under 35 secs. According to my expirience, it seems that standard 1 wire sensor like I have now, warm up between 4 and 5 minutes.
Lanos 1,5 sedan 2001, LPG Lovato-Loveco Pro