New Plug wires arcing. How to route them on the valve cover?

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

mattruffer471

New Plug wires arcing. How to route them on the valve cover?

Post by mattruffer471 »

I just installed new spark plugs and wires on my 2000 Lanos (automatic, 60k miles) The check engine light now flashes when i have to step on the gas pedal. It stops flashing when the car is idling. I started the car up at night and saw every spark plug wire was arcing in numerous spots. Are my new plug wires defective or is there a proper way to route the wires on the valve cover? A diagram of correct plug wire routing would help me out a lot. Thanks for your help, Matt
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

their is a topic in the how to section about the correct assignment of the spark plug wires.

my experiance says if you got the wrong assignment then the car wouldn't have started... since it is running and you are having arcs all over the place then your new wires are leaking badly.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
mattruffer471

Post by mattruffer471 »

Turned out to be a bad coil. The arcing problem was solved by tightly routing the plug wires around the indent in each plug wire boot. I also used 3/8 fuel hose around the wires where the wires were close to the valve cover to prevent arcing.
exist3nce
Expert

Post by exist3nce »

mattruffer471 wrote:Turned out to be a bad coil. The arcing problem was solved by tightly routing the plug wires around the indent in each plug wire boot. I also used 3/8 fuel hose around the wires where the wires were close to the valve cover to prevent arcing.
nice work.
2004 Optra/Forenza/Lacetti - 225whp - Haltech Sprint500 - CT12B - Getrag F28 6spd - KW V3 Coilovers - FX35 Retrofit
2002 IS300 5MT - 615whp - AEM EMS - GT4088R - Built 9.5CR - R154 - TRD LSD - SupraTT T/B - Varex - LS430 Retrofit
Spider
Expert

Post by Spider »

Yes, good work !

I have used "di-electric grease" (available at any auto-parts store) with good results at any cable to plug, cable to cap or cable to coil connection.

Moonless, dark night ?
no "light show"= good wires and connections.
:)
~Spider~
2000 1.6 DOHC Lanos 'S'
Silver HB.

"The three great essentials to achieving anything worthwhile are; first, hard work, second, stick-to-it-iveness, and third, common sense."
- -- Thomas Edison