Holden L4 2.0 Timing belt convertion

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

Zipper

Holden L4 2.0 Timing belt convertion

Post by Zipper »

I was thinking, the Holden 2.0L used in the Suzuki version of the Lacetti uses a timing belt. With the engine being an interfearance engine, this can cause problems. Theres always the looming fear that you'll be showing some honda up, when POW, the belt fails, and you just turned your engine into a giant paperweight.
Any one know of a convertion to a chain or gear set up?

I like the engine, its just that this is a potential for a major problem
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

if you keep up on nthe belt changes you wont havea problem. changed the belt befro 45k miles. i wouldnt use anything but a Gates brand belt, also change the tensioner and idler. you shouldnt have any problems

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!
Audacity Racing
moron

Post by Audacity Racing »

You'll loose power too (much much more rotating mass)
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

here's the deal with the belt! i used to work at the daewoo dealer here in town and i've got the bulletin from daewoo that all the dealer recieved about the belt, i just need to post it.
the bulletin said the the problem is not with the belt or the pully system. the problem is in the water sealing ability in the timing cover.
it seals well accept behind the water pump, so what that means is that water (not fromthe pump) leaks into the timing cover and settles at the crank pully and causes a shorter life on the belt.
so the answer, aside from regular belt changes, is to drill two small holes at the bottom of the cover for drainage. this is what the dealers where doing and it will prolong the life of your belt.

p.s. you can't got to a chain and gear set cause you'd have to dovelope a whole new front end of the motor, pumps and all cause the chain would need to be completely sealed and plumed into the oiling system.

the holden 2.0 is the same as the daewoo 2.0 and 2.2, which is what suzuki is using in the reno and forenza after aquiring daewoo. even at that it's all part of the "R90" opel motor family.

regards
garrett