IAT replacement with a patontiometer

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

mezomaster
Expert

IAT replacement with a patontiometer

Post by mezomaster »

guys, i was woundering whats the values or resistance which the IAT sends to the control unit for every temperature, what does it read on lower and higher temperatuse degrees?? and whats the benifits of using a patontiometer instead of the sensor? does it make the mixture more rich?? and whats the best value to use if someone is going to replace the sensor with a resistor?? :) appreciate ur help guys, just wanted to try this and see if this worth to try...
>2004 Nubira, 1.6L (Manual Transmission)
>Custom made cold air intake
>Custom made headers & 2" pipe with mid Walker filter and rear Jasma-5Ziegen muffler
>Custom made intake manifold with 2.0L TB and larger injectors (soon to be done)
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

you can use a multymeter to read the sensor's output i guess... or if you have a diagnostic tool you can get the temp reading on the display.

what you are trying to do was done before in the chocochip in the attempt to increase prformance by fooling the ECU and give it false input about the intake air temp and make it think it is cold as hell outside... good idea so far but it is not the whole story.

once the ECU starts to dump more fuel to cope with the colder, much denser, oxygen loaded air by increasing the injector pulse time and the mixture is going to be rich... the ECU is going to detect the rich mixture through the O2 sensor and accordingly will reduce the injector puls time once again.

it is a closed circle were the mixture has to be arround 14.7:1 which is the best ratio for a N/A engine to make power... trying to mess with the ratio will not gain you power so you better rais the engine effecency - turbo it - rather than messing with the sensors.

a long story short... this is not a good idea

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
Daniel
Expert

Post by Daniel »

You can find the resistance variation in the service manual "engine controls" section. It is given for steps of 5°C. Then you can draw a graph to find intermediate values.

Daniel
mezomaster
Expert

Post by mezomaster »

THX guys, appreciate ur help too much, i wasnt really looking for any more power from doing this anyway, or then everyone was going to do that once he get his car from the dealer, :) , actually i just like to try everything, ya MM we call this something in egypt and thats what i am actually doing and its actually what always leads me to pay more money in fixing LOL :lol: :p
>Custom made headers & 2" pipe with mid Walker filter and rear Jasma-5Ziegen muffler
>Custom made intake manifold with 2.0L TB and larger injectors (soon to be done)
mezomaster
Expert

Post by mezomaster »

:idea: does it mean if we fooled the IAT and also fooled the O2 sensors both in the same time, we can get more rich mixture??? :roll:
BosnianLanos
Expert

Post by BosnianLanos »

Just get a fuel pressure regulator with some larger injectors. That'll give you a more rich mixture.

Rich doesn't mean more power though, just more gas.
mezomaster
Expert

Post by mezomaster »

i am running with a stock engine, so it doesnt worth an adjustable fuel regulator
modem_over

Post by modem_over »

try making a resistor for the o2 sensoe itself. If it detects the rar running lean it will richen the mix. Or do what i dod on an old car, mount the sensor further down the pipe and it wont read as much fuel, therefore increasing the mix.
Daniel
Expert

Post by Daniel »

Question: can the catalyser be destroyed with a rich mixture?

Daniel
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

Daniel wrote:Question: can the catalyser be destroyed with a rich mixture?

Daniel
from what ive heard, yes it can.

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!
mezomaster
Expert

Post by mezomaster »

its a good idea to locate the O2 more away, but i also can just add a resistor on the wire before it goes to the resistor, or just a resistor even without connecting it to the O2 at all, it depends..
and ya u may shorten the catalytic life time, but that if u even got a cat lol :)
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

messing with the mixture is not a good idea... too rich and you will be waisting gas and fouling spark plugs... too lean and you can blow your engine.

concentrate more on the engine's effecency... that makes more power.

MMamdouh
mezomaster
Expert

Post by mezomaster »

i have a F..... CEL comes on when i run on the fifth gear at 2 RPM for more than 30 seconds, i dunno what is that SHIT i am having every couple of days :x :x ......do u know someone near to me who got the inspection thingy?? i didnt try any of the patotiometer thing yet so everything is stock and its not the reason for the CEL
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

i was told their is one guy in mokattam that have it... not sure of the exact location... will try to get more info and feed you back.

MMamdouh
mezomaster
Expert

Post by mezomaster »

MM, if u can get any info then it would be useful for sure, but for this CEL which i have got, i think its cuz of the O2 sensor plug is not well connected. u know, i changed the O2 sensor place when i made the header to after the flexable pipe, so i had to make a longer wire, maybe its not connected well and keep vibrating, which make the CEL comes on and off...i couldnt make sure about it now cuz the car was still so hot and i have to let it cool down and see if that was the reason or not and i will tell u..BYES