Propane Butane and Methane injections

Forced induction, NA tunning, exhaust, just performance

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

python235
Junior

Propane Butane and Methane injections

Post by python235 »

Is it very risky to give 2 psi shots of propane or butane ormethane to a high compression engine,
like an 11.5:1 ????
would it cause detonation or not? this keeps going threw my mind since its pure gas and wont cause much compresion change.
VX
DomWoo
Expert

Post by DomWoo »

i have read where propane has been used on turbo cars but very hard to tune
daewooluvr
Expert

Post by daewooluvr »

WooHoo wrote:i have read where propane has been used on turbo cars but very hard to tune
My friends supra has a methane injection kit. I'm not sure of the specs but from what I gathered this is used to keep detonation down.
2000 Daewoo Lanos HB - Its green

Check me out at http://sdconsulting.weebly.com
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

propane, butane, methane injection should decrease the chance of detonation on a high compression engine.... just like daewooluvr said.

They use propane injection with diesel quite a bit..... the propane is in a gas form so it helps as a catalyst to get the diesel/air mixture burining more efficently.

I'd have to think the propane,butane,methane would certainly help cool off the pistons and cylinder head when it enters through the intake valve.

I do however think that running an injection system like this will require you to retard the ignition a little.

Given the air/fuel mixture will burn more evenly and more efficently also means that it will need to be spark later.

usually the ignition is advanced.... so the spark plug fires well before the piston reaches top dead center (TDC) ...... this is because it takes a while for the Air/fuel to get burning.... RPM/piston speed is also a factor but I won't go into that right now

So..... you don't need to have the timing advanced as much.... so you need to retard the ignition a little to compensate for the quicker burning fuel.

Hopefully you understand what I'm saying.

Methane/butane/propane Injection without ignition retard may cause heavy detonation issues

Methane/butane/propane Injection with ignition retard will create more power, better efficency and less likelyhood of "pre-ignition" detonation.

Another thing that is getting popular is hydrogen injection..... they are starting to get significant use on the diesel engine side of things.

They just use power from the alternator to split up water into O2 and H2... then it's injected into the intake.

They don't need much power.... and it makes a huge difference in fuel economy.... something in the range of 10% to 20% depending on conditions.
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos
dog

Post by dog »

A methanol/water injector would be a better choice for added power and preventing detonation. Snowperformance is about the best there is for this. here is a link for there products @ JEGS
http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/s ... ryId=27847
and here is their page
http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/s ... ryId=27847

What it does in short, heres a snippet from snowperformance.com
In gasoline engines, as with any intercooler, this suppresses detonation so more power producing boost and timing can be utilized. Water, with its high latent heat of vaporization cools the intake charge and combustion. Methanol cools the charge and combustion but also acts like an extremely high octane fuel (some researchers claim as high as 120 octane) as well as adding more oxygen to combustion.
Their kit is corosion proof and lets you run nitromethane in with the methanol?water(windsheild washer fluid) for a no2 boost that is constant. They sell the nitromethane as well.
They sell kits for N/A cars as well
04 Suzuki Forenza 2.0 with dreams of 325 hp per liter.