Leganza Headlights

Body Kits, Rims, Suspension, Wings, Lighting etc and exterior detailing.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

RhinoWrecker

Leganza Headlights

Post by RhinoWrecker »

Does anybody know how to take apart the headlights for cleaning? Somehow my lights are carrying ALOT of water, it is foggy!!!!
BosnianLanos
Expert

Post by BosnianLanos »

Well, generally, you have to stick the headlight in an oven for a few minutes to loosen the glue. Then you remove the clips and pry the lens from the casing. However, for water, your best bet is to drain out as much as you can and leave the bulb holes open to let the water evaporate overnight or maybe quicker with a hairdryer. Then, seal up the hole that the water is coming in and you will be ok. Remember, don't seal up your vent hose or your headlights will overheat and bad things will happen :twisted: .
lanos2001
Expert

Post by lanos2001 »

if you do the oven deal i think the oven would have to be set at like 220 degrees farenheit for like 10-15 minutes. oh and one headlight at a time.

nick

save a tree, eat a beaver.
TheGreatAndPowerfulOz
All Powerful

Post by TheGreatAndPowerfulOz »

If I'm not mistaken, I believe 220 will melt the whole headlight assembly all together.

When I took my headlight on my Leganza apart, it was 160F or 180F.
Make SURE you have a seperate thermometer in the oven and DO NOT go by what the stove's temperature guage says.

Pre heat the oven a few times to see where the correct temperature is according to the thermometer that you put in the oven.

This keeps you from destroying your headlight in a big puddle of melted plastic.

So far, I have had a pair of Lanos tail lights and one Leganza headlight taken apart like this.

Too cold and the glue won't come apart. Too hot and the whole thing melts or distorts and warps. You have to use the seperate thermometer to make sure the temperature is right. You should be able to buy this at any store with a decent selection baking supplies.

Be careful and good luck.

Cliff
AcingTeam
Expert

Post by AcingTeam »

It is a tricky and risky job, I have performed it on both taillights and both headlights. I'm pretty sure I did 200F for 15 mins each. Nothing melted but the gooey stuff. Make sure to remove the screw from a headlight before trying to open it up.
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

won't the oven heat evaporate the condensed water?? that will make opening the headlight usless... right?

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
BosnianLanos
Expert

Post by BosnianLanos »

mmamdouh wrote:won't the oven heat evaporate the condensed water?? that will make opening the headlight usless... right?

MMamdouh
Thats why I am saying simply take off both headlights, drain the fluid, and leave them open inside your house overnight so the water evaporates. No danger and you don't have any risk of damaging your headlight.
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

i did that once - leave them open - and the water went away... the important thing is to find the place that is leaking and block it.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
TheGreatAndPowerfulOz
All Powerful

Post by TheGreatAndPowerfulOz »

After the moisture is out, you can keep it out permanently by dipping the whole headlight in tar. LOL :lol:

The moisture will not get back in, but the headlights won't let any light out, either. It will give your car that "blacked-out" look! LOL
jorge
Expert

Post by jorge »

Open the headlights in oven is true
Con mas mec.s que un taller jajajajaja Mec. Diaz, Mec. Cheo Racing, Mec. eljunito, y ed flash tunning simplemente los mejores!
jorge
Expert

Post by jorge »

:twisted:
Con mas mec.s que un taller jajajajaja Mec. Diaz, Mec. Cheo Racing, Mec. eljunito, y ed flash tunning simplemente los mejores!
DarkPark

Post by DarkPark »

i have a 2002 leganza that i installed a HID conversion kit in and i didnt seal the new hole i drilled and it fogged up i got it out with an air compressor. i then sealed it with silicon. I dont know that this helps but i thought i should mention it.