Gasoline prices

General, Humor, Post here everything that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

BosnianLanos
Expert

Post by BosnianLanos »

Yeah, when I moved to America in the late 1990s, gas was anywhere from $.92-$.99 a gallon, I have never seen it @ $.79.

And I honestly believe that gas will probabally never see another downward trend again. I hope I'm wrong, but with the current situation, it is a farfetched idea.

Gas right now is $2.99 and the government says that "We will see relief soon", which probabally means some kind of tax break that will lower the price to like $2.69 and everyone will be all happy. And then, you think about it, and gas was $1.59 a mere year ago and we were all complaining. Gas prices go up daily, even though it takes a week or more for delivery of the new, more expensive gas. That is shere profit. I doubt that the greedy bastards that work for the oil companies will give up such a huge profit.

The only relief that I see is when demand for gas drops, which will probabally only happen when Americans give up their love affair with unnecessary big ass SUVs and Trucks and finally get the smaller, economic cars that we have all had for a while now. But even that has a very very small chance of happening.
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

The cost of removing oil from Oil sands and Oil Shale has gone down over the past 10 years with the invention of new chemical agents (basicly a modified soap )

The cost of getting oil from shale/sand is expensive only compared to that of the middle eastern companies.

They get nice light crude that needs very little refinement... so they produce oil for a few dollars a barrel.

When I was in Petroleum Engineering 10 years ago the cost of refinement for oil sands was about $14 per barrel and they figured that the new technology could drop that to somewhere around $8 per barrel.

Companies are investing Billions of dollars up here to get production levels up to be able to support our growing export business.

The downside is that the american demand for oil / gasoline / gas has made our normally low priced oil products skyrocket.

Our government has taxes on oil so belive it or not we pay more for the Gasoline than most of the USA ( currently paying around $3.80 per gallon)

This is really pissing off Canadians.... we send our products to the USA and you get them cheaper than us!!!! (damned taxes!!)

It really sucks.... but at the same time it's making our economy extreemly strong and everyone in the oilfield is busy (which is why the Canadian dollar is very strong these days)

I'm sure that 10 years down the road the USA will be able to make the oil shale deposits worth mining..... which will make the price drop a little.

I really don't see gasoline prices dropping much unless the Canadian and USA governments step in and stop the oil companies from charging so much.

Sure it's supply vs demand but when it starts to hurt the economy of our nations I'm sure someone will step in and stop the bleeding.
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos
BosnianLanos
Expert

Post by BosnianLanos »

Financial experts said that the price of oil probabally won't begin hurting the ecomony until oil prices hit about $80.00 USD a barrel. Right now they hover about the mid $60 range. The oil companies will probabally make sure that the price of oil flatlines at about the 60-75 dollar range so that they make plenty of money but are never really scrutinized by the governments of the world.

I'm lucky that I own only compact cars, but I commute 25 miles a day and at high RPM the Lanos averages something like 4 MPG. It seems ridiculous, but at extended times when I have it floored, you can actually see the fuel level dropping considerably.

Oh well, I guess life could be worse.

Hurricane Katrina could have done a direct hit on my town. :(
scarr
Junior

Post by scarr »

BosnianLanos wrote:I commute 25 miles a day and at high RPM the Lanos averages something like 4 MPG. It seems ridiculous, but at extended times when I have it floored, you can actually see the fuel level dropping considerably.
I've only noticed bad MPG on the highway when I'm really flooring it (85-105 range), considering I can't seem to get higher than 105 unless on a downhill. The car just cuts the gasflow in half it seems once it hits the 105 mark so my RPMs drop. However, I get horrible city mileage. Like 18-22 MPG in city. I know it's probably because of how I drive (light turns green, I punch it) but I never had that kinda mileage in my '90 CRX MT. And it was 'suped' up pretty nicely. Dyno'd at ~130hp (92hp stock). And I drove worse because it was alot easier to keep RPMs up high.

Here's my topic about it if you have any suggestions. http://www.daewootech.com/forum/viewtop ... 2757#32757

Erfinder, I've talked about that very thing to friends of mine (Government stepping in) and none seem to agree with me that they should. Their opinion basically being 'the less government control, the better.'
CHNDROSE
Junior

Post by CHNDROSE »

Actually the government has been involved in US oil prices for some time. If I get the chance I will post on it later or perhaps someone else might.

Good responses, but make sure you check the historical data and look at past trends during supply concerns. :)
Light without shadow is blindness.
KnightWalace
Expert

Post by KnightWalace »

don't forget our vice prez and prez are oil whores.
2004 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart
Stock.. Till summer (good job coming)

RRM Turbo Kit
VRS 3" Exhaust with a MeganRacing Carbon Fiber muffler.
Some other goodies.
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Right now there is a "Fuel Surcharge" on every product shipped throughout North America...... as fuel cost rise.... so does the price of shipping.... which makes local domestic products more attractive and foreign products more expensive.

I know a number of guys who drive trucks for a living..... they are now looking for new jobs.... they can't afford the fuel prices.

The big companies get deals on fuel so they can wait take this oportunity to crush the small guys.

Rising fuel costs aren't the end of the world but it's going to make inflation rise due to increased costs.
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos
Ethan

Post by Ethan »

Here in quebec, canada the 87 octane fuel was at 1.47 $ / liter ( 5.65$ / gallon) right after Katrina... Today the fuel is about 1.22 - 1.30 (4.68$ / gallon )

And before Irak war... about .65-.70 ? /liter ....

Optra 5LS 2k5