Check this out...

General, Humor, Post here everything that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

Tim04
Super

Check this out...

Post by Tim04 »

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1988-PON ... otohosting

Browsing along on Ebay and ran into this. Looks pretty good...a bit pricey though. :(
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

I personally wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole.

With that little amount of miles the engine is most likely in need of a rebuild.... all the seals would have dried out and I bet the timing belt is brittle and has thousands of tiny cracks.

Back in high school my buddy bought a nice little Honda Civic (83) with 10,000 original km on it.... it was FUBAR in less than three months.... multiple oil and coolant leaks from all over the engine and then his timing belt snapped.

He paid $1000 for it so it wasn't like he had huge money into it but he couldn't afford to have the engine rebuilt or replaced so he sold it to a mechanic friend for $200

Long story short.... low mileage with high years is worse than high mileage with low years.
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

+1

on such car you can kiss all rubber stuff good bye... that includes seals, gaskets, hoses, belts not to mention that in some places rust will eat up the body.

BTW what is the correct way to store a car for a couple of years or so??

MMamdouh
Last edited by MMamdouh on Fri May 19, 2006 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
Slammed
Expert

Post by Slammed »

Well my pops used to put the car up on cinder blocks take off the tires and then winterize the motor and all oil related items and then he would fill the cylinders with mystery oil so they would not rust
MMamdouh wrote:+1

on such car you can kiss all rubber stuff good bye... that includes seals, gaskets, hoses, belts not to mention that in some places rust will eat up the body.

BTW what is the correct way to store a car for a couple of years or so??

MMamdouh
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

whats ment by "winterize the motor"??

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

I agree with the taking off the tires...usually they just go flat and end up damaged.

I simply make a point of starting the car once every week if it's a nice car....or once a month if it's a beater.

you just let it idle and warm up....usually around 2 minutes.

you should allways change the oil using a flush system prior to storing.... that gets all the thick gunky greasy oil out of the system.

you should ideally change the coolant if it's been in there a while.... I belive there are additives to help stop corrosion.

you need to add something called "fuel stabilizer" to the gas tank prior to parking the car.... gasoline goes bad over time.... if you start it up with old gas it will leave deposits all over the place.

Some people will plug their tailpipe and intake so that moist air doesn't travel up the pipe and into which ever cylinder has the valves open.

I'm sure there are other things that can be done but I think that covers most of the basics.
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos