Lanos 1.3 to 1.6 Engine swap

Forced induction, NA tunning, exhaust, just performance

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

Bob3825

Lanos 1.3 to 1.6 Engine swap

Post by Bob3825 »

I thought i'd make a separate topic for this to explain everything in detail

So yesterday me and MMamdouh went to the mechanic who did the 2.0 nubira swap and we sat down and discussed everything, we then went to a guy near by which has all sorts of stuff for daewoos starting from headlights and tail lights to engines and half cuts, so we picked a 1.6 we liked and we inspected it and took out the transmission to check the clutch disk and flywheel and everything was great so we bought the engine and went back to the shop, we started to take the old engine out and disconnected everything and dropped it from under the car and here is how the car looks without an engine :D

After taking the 1.3 out it was getting late so we called it a day and went all home.

The next day came and i had lunch and went straight to the shop, i found that the mechanic went and got the 1.6 engine to the shop and had it just beside the car with the plastic cover off and the valve cover was changed since it had a dent in it.

we started to prepare the engine for going in the car so we changed the spark plugs, spark plug wires, belts, and got new engine mounts and clutch master cylinder. There is of course this engine mount that sticks out of the side so it was relocated and in its place came one of the belt driven pulleys and everything aligned great. There were a couple of things though, the o2 sensor plug wires were a bit short so we elongated them, and then was the fan thermostat switch which was also short since its in the right side in the 1.6 and on the left side in the 1.3 so we elongated that too.

As for the main wiring loom, we were going to use the 1.6 one but we found out that they are identical except for the VGIS of course which is easy to add so we decided to stick with the 1.3 wiring so we won't have to change the fuse box and all this stuff. We added this part i don't know its name in english :D but its responsible for opening the solenoid of the VGIS when it gets its signal from the ECU, you can see it in the first picture, its the black cylinder shaped thing to the left of the fuel filter.

Now that the engine is ready, we tied it and raised the car so that we can raise the engine from under the car and into its new home.

We got the engine in its place, and tied all the engine mounts and made sure everything was fit perfectly, we found out that the throttle cable was too short, so we will probably get a longer one or modify its little bracket, but that's for tomorrow. We will start connecting everything and hopefully no check engine light or any problems will rise and we fire it up and it pulls good, i just can't wait to drive it :D it should pull good since the car is really light, i think about 1 ton, well we will see about that tomorrow
99 1.6 3dr lanos
Big Jeff
Expert

Post by Big Jeff »

you should find that that box that control the VGIS should have a vacuum till it get to about 4500rpm
Daewoo Lanos SX,
1.6 16v DOHC,

Bob3825

Post by Bob3825 »

Yes and from what i understood that it collects vacuum until this certain rpm and then releases it to open the VGIS solenoid to allow the air to take the shorter path in the intake manifold
99 1.6 3dr lanos
Big Jeff
Expert

Post by Big Jeff »

silly realy, if you think about it

as soon as the engine start it closes the shorter path to the engine,
you would think it should be the other way round, so it need a vacuum to open the short path
Daewoo Lanos SX,
1.6 16v DOHC,

daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

dude what happened to your passanger side fender..... bummer!

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!
Bob3825

Post by Bob3825 »

Yeah i was on the high way and there was this truck trying to pass from the right to the left in front of me in a small gap and i had a car behind me so i couldn't reduce my speed so he took the fender with him, i'll get a new one after finishing all the important work first

about today's progress i'll give you all the details and pics because its really late and we were testing the car, but we had to finish tomorrow because the VGIS wasn't working
99 1.6 3dr lanos
Big Jeff
Expert

Post by Big Jeff »

are you using a 1.6 ecu with the 1.3 loom
Daewoo Lanos SX,
1.6 16v DOHC,

daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

how hard is it dropping the engine out the bottem? when i did my engine swap in my silver sedan i pulled the engine from the top, i just sonder if the drop is easier?

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!
Bob3825

Post by Bob3825 »

no we are using the 1.3 ECU , is this causing it not to open? because we had a brand new nubira with the 1.6 so we double checked all the vacuum lines and they are the same

And i believe getting the engine from below is easier since you wont have to drop it in with an angle to get the transmission in first, but from down you just align it on the floor and pull up
99 1.6 3dr lanos
Bob3825

Post by Bob3825 »

This is for anyone who has a 1.6 lanos, can you tell me the sort of 0-100 times you get so i have something to compare to, no dynos here :S
99 1.6 3dr lanos
Big Jeff
Expert

Post by Big Jeff »

MPH - KM/P ??
Daewoo Lanos SX,
1.6 16v DOHC,

MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

Bob3825 wrote:no we are using the 1.3 ECU , is this causing it not to open? because we had a brand new nubira with the 1.6 so we double checked all the vacuum lines and they are the same

And i believe getting the engine from below is easier since you wont have to drop it in with an angle to get the transmission in first, but from down you just align it on the floor and pull up
i am tired as hell and wasn't able to think clearly yesterday... today it struck me that we connected the VGIS solenoid to the socket that used to be on the VGR of your old engine... no wonder the VGIS is not working

this brings up a serious question... how the hell will we actuate the VGIS solenoid when their is no socket for it on the 1.3 loom??

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

Big Jeff wrote:MPH - KM/P ??
won't make a difference... 0-100KPH is the same as 0-60MPH

MMamdouh
Bob3825

Post by Bob3825 »

MMamdouh wrote:
Bob3825 wrote:no we are using the 1.3 ECU , is this causing it not to open? because we had a brand new nubira with the 1.6 so we double checked all the vacuum lines and they are the same

i am tired as hell and wasn't able to think clearly yesterday... today it struck me that we connected the VGIS solenoid to the socket that used to be on the VGR of your old engine... no wonder the VGIS is not working

this brings up a serious question... how the hell will we actuate the VGIS solenoid when their is no socket for it on the 1.3 loom??

MMamdouh

Shit it passed through me too, we were really tired yesterday, i told the mechanic to prepare the wiring and the ECU so we can change them and see the difference
99 1.6 3dr lanos
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

i didn't post brake parts pics yet... here they are:

MMamdouh