will timing effect mpg?

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

sheepdizildawg
Expert

will timing effect mpg?

Post by sheepdizildawg »

was talking with someone last night, and he said something about timing might give me shit millage, what do you think?? i replaced the spark wires, and fixed my injectors.. anything else to check?
daewoomofo

Re: will timing effect mpg?

Post by daewoomofo »

have you done a timing belt change recently and experianced a loss in economy?

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!
sheepdizildawg
Expert

Post by sheepdizildawg »

well since i rebuilt my engine, it has been screwed. and the check engine light is on for two things. one if the O2 sensor, but thats because i took the pre cat out. the second one is for engine mis fire. I have replaced the spark wires and checked the spark plugs, i am thinking I have skipped a tooth on my timing?
nubira88

Post by nubira88 »

could be mate i had to have someone help me line myne up was being an ass of a thing... but my engine is running perfect and is pretty good on fuel.... check the timing my money is on the crank being out.. does it run rough?
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

you might need a cam sensor

sheepdizildawg
Expert

Post by sheepdizildawg »

well it doesnt run 100% smooth, shakes a little, like vibrating and stuff. you can see it on the steering wheel if I am just idling at a stop. and makes everything that is loose, rattle.
nubira88

Post by nubira88 »

mofo we will ask your oppinion when we need help installing a steering wheel cover or crome hubcaps....... if it was the cam sensor it would run the ecu in a loop mode then fuel economy would be the problem... you are experiencing run problems is the exhaust putting at the back? does it sound differnt to before your cambelt went? honestly sounds like the timings out a bit borrow a car for a week and put it off the road and run through all the avenues........ :D
sheepdizildawg
Expert

Post by sheepdizildawg »

yeah thats another problem. the car i drive other then the lanos is a corvette... it gets a whopping 10 mpg. the tranny is going out in it, thanks to it being to fast ;-) lol so it is out of commission. I will be going up to a shop tomorrow and seeing how much it will be to fix my timing..
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

nubira88 wrote:mofo we will ask your oppinion when we need help installing a steering wheel cover or crome hubcaps....... if it was the cam sensor it would run the ecu in a loop mode then fuel economy would be the problem... you are experiencing run problems is the exhaust putting at the back? does it sound differnt to before your cambelt went? honestly sounds like the timings out a bit borrow a car for a week and put it off the road and run through all the avenues........ :D

ok listen here bitch, drop the attitude. i dont know why you need to be suck a condecending dick but you need to stop it RIGHT NOW! i forgot about him rebuilding the engine, i have bigger things on my mind then what every person on daewootech has done to their cars. your not a car goddess. i dont clame to know everything, you shouldnt either. i gave a sugguestion. ive been working on cars alot longer than you think

ok now back to the problem, you said you have a CEL from your o2 sensor? that can cause poor gas mileage, as can haveing a misfire from a bad cam sensor, like i have in my lanos. or you might have the timing off, its really hard to say. take the timing cover off and see if you can get hte marks to line up perfectly. but i know that if it was timging you would have a very shakey running car, yo saying tha your steering wheel bounces at a red light does mane me think that your marks might be off. good luck and keep us posted

sheepdizildawg
Expert

Post by sheepdizildawg »

yeah, its not a whole lot, just a little, so thats why i think it might be off just a tad. if the cam sensor was shot, would it throw a code?
nubira88

Post by nubira88 »

go eat a hamburger mofo......... Yes a cam sensor will throw a code in the works i dont play with my diagnostic plug.. havent had to yet... but with my camira (80s vauxhaul cav.. best car out :D :D ) i have it tells me all sorts of tricks... though the woo is a bit more advanced.... your valves werent verry bent am i right or were they? did you do the guides if the timings not out it could be a burnt valve (highly unlikely) my moneys on the timing being out slight. you will notice back fire like noises from the exhaust putting watever... an mofo i driv a manual i aint no bitch baby go grandma lower a shit auto pffft
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

all temper tantrums aside you have no roght to say that i only know about hub caps and steering wheel covers. granted i shoudnt have gone off on my rant, sorry for that. but if you dont think that my sugguestion is the answer, you dont need to be rude about it. you cna state that you think i am wrong, and state why. were all adults on here, lets act like it.

sheepdizildawg
Expert

Post by sheepdizildawg »

yeah I have no code for a cam sensor. I replaced all my valves, all the seals, everything when i rebuilt the engine. so we good there... I think it is the timing, see what the shop thinks
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

sheepdizildawg wrote:yeah I have no code for a cam sensor. I replaced all my valves, all the seals, everything when i rebuilt the engine. so we good there... I think it is the timing, see what the shop thinks
did you do all the assembly work on the engine? if so there is no reason you cant check the timeing your self, it isnt that hard.

you would have to take the timing belt cover off, and with out starting the engine (unplug the coil pack) bump the starter until cylinder 1 is at TDC, check your cam gear marks, if everything lines up correcly your timing is good. plain and simple.

wolfsreign
Expert

Post by wolfsreign »

allllllllllll you have to do, is make sure the coil pack numbers match up to the cylinder. lol. not calling you stupid, just things happen on the home stretch.

2, like mofo said, just take the cover off, not hard at all, can be done in <45mins, like 4 bolts, and make sure the exhaust cam little mark is point to the intake mark on the intake came, (only if you have a DOHC, if you have SOHC i have nooo fucking clue where the timing marks are.)

then with those 2 pointing to each other, make sure the crank is point to the timing mark too. (on my lanos the cranks mark is on the metal back cover, towards the bottom)

i also bet that its the belt, or the plug wireing

(also if you stay in lower RPM, youll get better MPG :P and if you stop evading cops on high speed pursuits, your MPG will go up) jk
~wolf
Death smiles at man, all man can do is smile back. :)

'00 3dr Lanos HB
-straight piped exhaust
-maroon>black
-short piping intake