Installed Splitfire twin core spark plugs

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

MMamdouh

Installed Splitfire twin core spark plugs

Post by MMamdouh »

i got a gift - again - from Ehab Bob and it was a set of Splitfire twin core 8.0mm spark plug cables

it was one of them sets that you have to cut to your specific lengthens and install the sockets and all so i got a couple of old OEM wire sets and stripped out the rubber caps and the metal sockets to use them on the SF cables

i got the lengths off the OEM set and installed the rubber caps... it was a hell of a job as the SF cables are thicker so i used oil to lubricate the cables and let the caps slide... i had to use a hot metal rod to enlarge the hole in the spark plug cap... that was the most exhausting part

after that i installed the metal sockets... the one at the coil pack was tricky as their is a plastic cylinder were the cable has to go in and the SF is thicker than the OEM... i actually used a flat end screw driver and a hammer to force the damn thing in

last part of the customization was to adjust the position of the metal socket at the spark plug size, it was an easy job to compare to one of the OEM cable sets... after that i cleaned all the metal terminals with carb cleaner to get rid of all the oil residue

the installation was super easy... and as far as looks... it is as good as a cable set made for the Lanos and this is what i like the most

now for the test drive... no change whatsoever :(

it seems that them cables are just like the BOSCH super 4 spark plugs and all... the real benefit is the durability and lack of maintenance rather than performance, i was not that much disappointed as it is a gift... but paying 340LE (62USD) for this set with expectations of power gains will be frustrating indeed

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
buddha102
Expert

Re: Installed Splitfire tein core spark plugs

Post by buddha102 »

mm... u wont get 20hp just changing spark plug wires.... u might get 1hp more or none from them thats all...
armykyle1

Post by armykyle1 »

I put a set of autolite XP plugs in my car and noticed a good increase in power and economy. They just foul out faster than a platinum plug. Unless you are running a after market coil bigger coil wires are useless. The borg warner plugs wires are just fine.
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

this is alt like the accell 8mm wire set i put in my woo. it was $40 for the set but its for a V8 so i got 2 sets of wires for that price. i had to reuse the coilpack side boots adn bend the contacts so they worked, but its a nice mod!

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!
armykyle1

Post by armykyle1 »

Oh yea nice install BTW
MMamdouh

Re: Installed Splitfire twin core spark plugs

Post by MMamdouh »

i know their won't be huge power gains from such mod.... only huge power gains comer from forced induction or NOS as long as we are not talking engine swaps and all

i was expecting even a little better acceleration or even a smoother idle... just anything to compensate for the 2 day work i spent on customizing them wires :?

MMamdouh
armykyle1

Post by armykyle1 »

I upgraded my power and ground wires and got a better idle.
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

i did that already... got better high/low beam brightness and the starter seemed to be working a bit faster

MMamdouh
armykyle1

Post by armykyle1 »

thats a pretty serious ground setup. Did you run a bigger power wire off the alt? What do you recommend to make the head lights brighter?
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

i still have 1 meter or so of that wire i used for the ground kit but i didn't use it for the alternator yet

for making the front headlights brighter is is always good to use a heavy duty relay with thicker wired from the relay to the bulbs... also use some 100/90 watt bulbs instead of the OEM 60/55 watt ones

MMamdouh
armykyle1

Post by armykyle1 »

you think I can go to a parts house and find a relay that'll fit in the D-block?

I bought some silver star lights a while back, and while it was \clear white light it wasn't very bright/
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

i am not sure about the products in your local market but in here them relays are everywhere

my current bulbs are Korean brand named Eagle eye... i got a set of Osram's night breaker and they are very nice too

MMamdouh
wolfsreign
Expert

Post by wolfsreign »

MM can you please list where your ground post connects to? i see engine block and strut mount. where else? and wht gauge? (just curious)
~wolf
Death smiles at man, all man can do is smile back. :)

'00 3dr Lanos HB
-straight piped exhaust
-maroon>black
-short piping intake
Trey05Woo
Super

Post by Trey05Woo »

brighter headlights you say? just go hid's my friend there is no turning back from that.

I do remember a TSB on poor driving lights, running a ground to chassis right at the headlight socket helped some, but these cars got pretty lame shiners.

you can also upgrade your battery size. I went with a 08 impala battery. Swapped the tray and the hold down bolt. Costed less than 30 bucks USD. Noticed a big improvement overall especially cold starting.
Specializing in European & Korean Only
Doral Auto Care
5171 NW 36th
Virginia Gardens, FL 33166
(305) 871-1121

BS Mechanical Engineering 12/12 (FINALLY!)

ASE Certified:
Engine Electrical
Engine Performance/Advance
Brakes & ABS
Air Conditioning
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

wolfsreign wrote:MM can you please list where your ground post connects to? i see engine block and strut mount. where else? and wht gauge? (just curious)
~wolf
i have 4 points

1- left strut mount
2- intake - throttle cable holder
3- intake - engine head side at cyl. #4 bolt
4- left bolt holding top radiator mount (this earth is common with the ground of the upgraded relay i installed for my headlights)

i still have the OEM ground cables attached to the -ve terminal and body/engine

i am not sure of the gauge of them cables... i just got a thick cable that i hound at the car parts shop

MMamdouh