discovered new way to jam flywheel on nubira.

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

johnoo

discovered new way to jam flywheel on nubira.

Post by johnoo »

Hi , needed to take off pulley again (nubira 1.6 ltr ) and had no one to press the brakes.
so decided to have a good look around the bell housing rear block area for other solutions.
found where the oil pan meets the engine block, exhaust side of engine, and near the bell housing or flywheel there is a 5mm slot running horizontally across.
shine a torch in this slot and u will see the flywheel.
to jam the wheel i used 2- 3/16 allen keys,as there is only a small gap from the flywheel teeth to the bell housing or whatever they call em theses days.
place the first allen key in this slot and place ratchet on the crank pulley.
jiggle crank to find the flywheels tooth notch, now with the first allen key in the notch, place the second allen key in the hole next to the first. (this prevents the allen key in the flywheel notch from slipping out as it buts up against the wall of the housing.
searched this previously as i needed to take off the pulley bolt, the other alternative was to take out the starter motor, doesnt look easy on these cars when you dont have a hoist.
would have saved a lot of hassle finding it earlier.
why dont manuals have this information ? when they explain something its as if the motor was out of the car.
example. to remove the pulley bolt all it says is remove pulley , but no information as how to stop crank turning or if you could damage gears by having someone press the brakes while in gear
if the motor is out of the car and on an engine stand its simple.
john
97 nubira 1.6 dohc
johnoo

Re: discovered new way to jam flywheel on nubira.

Post by johnoo »

heres a pic
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
flywheel slot
(59.72 KiB) Downloaded 389 times
97 nubira 1.6 dohc
Daniel
Expert

Re: discovered new way to jam flywheel on nubira.

Post by Daniel »

I'll keep this one in my book :smt023
Thanks