Removing the rev limiter?

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

All waht you said is correct guys but let me ask... what are the benefits of going to 7000 or 7500 RPM?? we still have the same torque and HP so we will achive nothing by hitting higher RPM.

anyways the torque and HP tend to decrease at the max stock RPM and they will continue to decreas past the rev limiter so i see no point of that whatsoever.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
KnightWalace
Expert

Post by KnightWalace »

is it not possible that you may add certain components to change where max torque and max horsepower at 7000+ rpm. Of course after strengthening the engine internals.
2004 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart
Stock.. Till summer (good job coming)

RRM Turbo Kit
VRS 3" Exhaust with a MeganRacing Carbon Fiber muffler.
Some other goodies.
-=Exiled=- Chris

Post by -=Exiled=- Chris »

the more important thing to realize is for example on the 1.6 the car is rated at 105 hp @ 5800 RPM, in other words once you pass 5800rpm PEAK hp gain the powerband will go back down, however if you wanted to make it peak higher you would need to TUNE it for that, longer intake runners, longer intake, longer exhaust manifolds, etc...

you must remember the goal is to keep the car in its peak rpm area, anymore and anyless will not be optimal, whenever you race and you have modifications you should find out where you peak hp is made, then when you race thats around where you want to keep it in that area
nasser

Post by nasser »

when you hit 7500 rpm and use short gear ratio you will get faster acceleration and higher top speed.
daewooluvr
Expert

Post by daewooluvr »

nasser wrote:when you hit 7500 rpm and use short gear ratio you will get faster acceleration and higher top speed.
Is this a fact or just your opinion?

If it's a fact I'd like to see some proof of this on a Daewoo Engine.
2000 Daewoo Lanos HB - Its green

Check me out at http://sdconsulting.weebly.com
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

short ratio gears and high top speed doesn't go together at all... that's why those things got 6 or even 7 gears to reach a subistantial top speed.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
-=Exiled=- Chris

Post by -=Exiled=- Chris »

yeah gearing is really important, i would thinkg taller gearing would be more important with a higher revving engine, giving her more of a smoother powerband, not just a high peak and drop which a shorter gearing would give i believe.

the goal is efficiency and timing, keep her in the sweet spot
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

If you want proof increasing the redline will make your car slower simply look at the Dynojet diagrams from the intake project.

You will see that after 6000Rpm the power drops like a rock.

This is most likely due to restrictions caused by the cylinder head and exhaust system.

To get more power at high rpm (which almost allways comes at the expensive of mid range power) you will need to have the cylinder head totally redone... the ports and valves will need to be enlarged, you will need a multi angle valve job, stiffer and or dual valve springs, lighter valvetrain components, cam shaft profiles.... the list goes on.

So to raise it 1000 RPM your looking at some very serious money.

If your only interest in raising the RPM is to be able to brag about your redline to your buddies I would suggest beating yourself with a large stick until the thought leaves your mind. (preferably before causing brain damage) :P

Torque should be your main concern not RPM.

Lets say we have two guys.....

Guy #1 spends $2000 on upgrading his valvetrain & connecting rods to reach 8000 RPM.

Guy #2 spends $2000 on a turbocharger and keeps everything else stock.

Guy#2 will absolutely destroy Guy #1 in a race..... power/torque is everything.... RPM means nothing without power.

Ok..... here is where this whole "high RPM redline is better" comes from.

If you have a drag racer and you've upgraded absolutely every engine component for maximum power gains then the only thing left that can make you more power is to increase the Redline.

But increasing the Redline is nearly last on the list of "things to do" when your upgrading your engine.... there are far more productive things to sink your money into when it comes to upgrades.

Anyways.... you have my 2 Cents.... take it or leave it.... but I hope you listen to me as your in for trouble if you want higher RPM with a stock engine.