My new wheels! (PICS)

Body Kits, Rims, Suspension, Wings, Lighting etc and exterior detailing.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

simon609zp

Hub Centric Rings - Revisited!

Post by simon609zp »

It's amazing what people will tell you when they don't have the correct thing to sell you.

You will need these rings even with the tuner lug bolts. Best I could come up with was to buy a hub ring with a 57.1mm inside diameter (1/2mm too big). When I put them on the car I cut a strip of aluminum from a beer can and wrapped it around the hub. Cut it to the correct length so it doesn't overlap and hold it in place with a piece of tape. This is just enough to so that the hub ring fits on nice and tight. Put the wheels back on the car and everything rides nice and smooth as it should. I got hub rings from www.1010tires, which is a Canadian store, but no problem sending them to me.

Hope this helps others....
TheGreatAndPowerfulOz
All Powerful

Post by TheGreatAndPowerfulOz »

Ok ... what exactly are hub rings and what are they used for?
Are they spacers to change the offset of the wheel?

Thanks

Cliff
simon609zp

Post by simon609zp »

What they are, are rings that go over the hub to fill in the space between the hub and the hole in the center of your aftermarket wheel, which will be bigger. My wheels have a hole in the center (center bore is what they call it) that is 72.62mm ( pretty common I understand ) and all Lanos and Nubira have a hub diameter of 56.6mm. No one in the US (that I could find and believe me I tried pretty damn hard) makes a hub ring with an internal diameter of 56.6mm, that's why I went with the 57.1 and improvised. They just ensure your rim is centered on the hub. Otherwise it feels like you're driving down the road with oval shaped wheels.

Click on the ebay link in my original post on this to get an idea what they look like. That particular seller was of no help either.

If I get a chance this weekend I'll pull one of my wheels off and post a couple of pictures.
AcingTeam
Expert

Post by AcingTeam »

When exactly are we going to see pics of these wheels on your car?
TheGreatAndPowerfulOz
All Powerful

Driving on oval wheels?
Don't the lug bolt holes that are cast into the wheels align and center the wheels?

The only way I can think that the wheels would not be centered is if the lug holes are elongated so they can fit different bolt spacing patterns.
Is this correct? If not, I am more confused than I was before. (and that doesn't happen very often! LOL)

Cliff
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Why on earth didn't you get the 56.1mm Honda rings???

5 minutes with some sandpaper and you would have a perfect ring.

Oz.... no.... the lug holes only do part of the job.

Hubcentric wheels (most cars these days) require a small edge to sit on to help support the weight of the car and center the wheel..... if you ran around without hub rings you could possibly end up shearing the bolts off and loose your tire. ( not very likely but possible...todays lug bolts are pretty strong and a lanos is very light )

Older cars had a completely flat hub.... so they were not "hubcentric" and used the studs to center and suport the wheel.

OZ....... If your new rims don't have 56.6mm hub rings I would really suggest that you go out in the very near future and pick up some hubcentric rings for a honda civic ( 56.1mm ) just to be safe.
TheGreatAndPowerfulOz
All Powerful

Thanks! I learn stuff all the time on here. :) I have always had older cars, such as my aircooled VWs that have flat hubs; I didn't even know about the rings.

Cliff
TheGreatAndPowerfulOz
All Powerful

The wheels with new tires installed! :)

Will post pics this weekend *IF* it ever stops raining! My yard is a muddy swamp right now and I can not park in my driveway or the car will sink.

Cliff
AcingTeam
Expert

Post by AcingTeam »

pics, pics, pics!!!!
Me

Post by Me »

i want the stock wheels off the lanos s and put some 195 60 14 on them
TheGreatAndPowerfulOz
All Powerful

Me wrote:i want the stock wheels off the lanos s and put some 195 60 14 on them
Sorry, but I'm not selling my stock wheels.
The tires on them are almost new, and I am keeping them in case I have to take the new wheels off for any reason. Also, my father has claimed them to put on his Lanos when the tread on his tires wears out. I can keep his stock wheels with the thin tread to put on my car (just in case something happens) because I won't need to use them very much.

---

I'm charging the digital camera battery right now and will post pics within the next 3 or 4 hours. :)

Cliff
TheGreatAndPowerfulOz
All Powerful

Well, it hasn't rained yet today, but is about to very soon!

Anyway, the sky is very overcast and there is not a lot of light, so the pictures didn't turn out very well.

Here they are:
http://www.totalglobaldomination.org/im ... oo/wheels/

I'll get some better ones when it is sunny outside.

Cliff
AcingTeam
Expert

Post by AcingTeam »

Looks good, now just need to lower the car a bit 8)
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

looks pretty cool man... a rear spoiler will look great on the car.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
TheGreatAndPowerfulOz
All Powerful

My plans for this summer include:
Lowering the car
Lanos Sport rear wing
and
Silver mirror window tint

I may possibly add a black nose bra to protect the front from rock chips.

That is all I can think of that I would like to do.

Plans for the inside of the car include more sound deadening, put the carpet back in and finish putting the interior plastic trim back in.

Then I'll be done and very happy with the car.

I do not think the stereo will ever be finished as I will always be upgrading and changing speakers and amplifiers. LOL

Cliff