Boring a 1.5 SOHC to 1.6

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

MMamdouh

Boring a 1.5 SOHC to 1.6

Post by MMamdouh »

i have been thinking of stroaking my 1.5 SOHC engine to make it a 1.6 SOHC so i went to the nearest matching 1.6 SOHC in the market here and it was the OPEL Corsa's 1.6 SOHC producing 101/6200 HP and 140/3000 Nm of torque.

i went through the specs of the engine and found out that it hase the same stroak as mine (81.5 mm) and the difference was in the bore (79 mm vs. 76.5 mm) so the only option available is boring the engine.

now my questions are:

is boring an engine safe?
any special parts i have to get whern i do that?
is it as easy as it sounds?
any tips you wanna share?

MMamdouh
Last edited by MMamdouh on Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Boring from 1.5L to 1.6L shouldn't be too hard.... the cylinders have the same centerlines so I think they are fairly close in design.

I remember someone talking about how they used a 1.6 DOHC head on their 1.5L SOHC and it worked great.

The boring must be done by a qualified machine shop.... make sure they know what they are doing.

My personal opinion is that it would be a waist of money.... you aren't going to make a pile of power going from 1.5L to 1.6L perhaps 7% more.
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

Erfinder@PrecisionBoost wrote:Boring from 1.5L to 1.6L shouldn't be too hard.... the cylinders have the same centerlines so I think they are fairly close in design.

I remember someone talking about how they used a 1.6 DOHC head on their 1.5L SOHC and it worked great.
well... i have asked about that on the yahoo group and the answer was "it can't be done as the oil and coolant passage ae different on both blocks" and also some people told me that comparing both head gaskets of the two engines will show if their is a difference, i have no gaskets at my disposal; does anyone have both gaskets and can compare them?? or at least scan the 1.5 SOHC gasket for me as i already have a scan for the 1.6 DOHC gasket.
The boring must be done by a qualified machine shop.... make sure they know what they are doing.
with the kind of people we have here i say it is near impossible to get it right... any feedback on what should notice during the job or any special procedure that should be followed during the process?
My personal opinion is that it would be a waist of money.... you aren't going to make a pile of power going from 1.5L to 1.6L perhaps 7% more.
well... going from 83 to 101 HP is like 21.6% more power which isn't bad, adding that to the fact that i won't bore my engine untill it needs rebuilding then it will be very much cost effective... don't you think??

MMamdouh
Audacity Racing
moron

Post by Audacity Racing »

are the engine specs on th opel from the crank or the wheels? 1.6 with 101 sounds like a crank reading to me...

if it is, you won't really gain anything but a hungry wallet... :?
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

Audacityracing wrote:are the engine specs on th opel from the crank or the wheels? 1.6 with 101 sounds like a crank reading to me...

if it is, you won't really gain anything but a hungry wallet... :?
i suppose it is from the cranck just like the 83 HP out of the 1.5 SOHC, the 21% ratio still stands... or did i get something wrong here?? :?

MMamdouh
Audacity Racing
moron

i thought the 83 of the sohc was at the wheels... cause there was a thread not long ago where we said the lanos has like 83 (sohc) or 86 (dohc) and the aveo is on par with that. the factory numbers we like 100ish for all three at the crank...

am i right? or just fulla crap?
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

i remember that post and the dispute was about the HP output of the 1.5 SOHC wether it is 83 or 86... both numbers came from the OEM manual so i suppose it is @ the crank rating rather than @ the wheels.

i saw somewhere that the 1.5 DOHC pumps 110 HP... i know it is too much HP but no one ever brought solid confirmation on that or came up with the correct HP.
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

The 1.5L SOHC was rated at 86hp (63 kW) of power at 5400 rpm and 96 foot-lbs (130 Nm) of torque at 3400 rpm

I'm about 75% sure they share the same head gasket... I had a 1.5L SOHC Lanos before my Optra so I did quite a bit of research on the subject about 5 years ago.

I think Tom@360Dynamics said he has a korean gasket which is specified to fit both the 1.6L and 1.5L engines.

I can't remember who did the DOHC head swap.... it was about 5 years back.... I will see if I have any info in my old research books ( I write everything into books so that I can go back later )

And you would only see power gains of 20% if you bored it out, put on the DOHC, replaced the pistons and switched the electronics.

If all your doing is boring the cylinder your only going to see 7% which is around 92hp.

This is a pile of money..... you can buy a fully functional 1.6L DOHC cheap.... you should be able to get it for less than the cost of boring the cylinders, replacing the pistons and swaping the head/electronics.

The added benifit is that you don't have to worry about getting it done by a shop that can guarantee precision work.

I bet the boring, piston replacement, 1.6L DOHC cylinder head, and electronics conversion will cost you between $1000USD to $1500USD

I bet you can get a 2.0L for somewhere close to that price.

Hell... for a few hundred more you could probably get a C20LET. :shock:
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

the thing is arround here parts are much more expensive and labor is much cheaper than where you are so buying a whole engine for a swap job is going to cost way much more arround here than a boring job.

this is why some people throw away cars that have broken timing bets or so due to the extreme repair cost... in my country we don't throw away cars unless a fully loaded freight train ran over it or so, anything less than that is repairable and doesn't cost much.

also i dropped out the DOHC head swap project for the same above mentioned reason plus we don't have that engine arround here so if i needed new valves or cams i would have to import them from God knows where and pay a load of money for it and wast a lot of time to do it.

i think if i went with the boring project i have to get 1.6 engine injectors (assuming they are different) and i suppose the ignition system is the same.

in case the injectors of the 1.6 are the same as the 1.5 i guess i will have to get a set from a 2.0 engine or so 'cause basicly i have increased the engine capacity but i have not added enough fuel to keep the correct ratio... the car will be running too lean if i didn't do so... right?

i am trying my best to keep this as simple as it can be, so the project won't be done unless i already doing an engine rebuild and i don't want to get stuck into ECU swaps and things like that so i will go for the bigger injectors hoaping they do the job.

doesn't our cars run rich already?? maybe the boring job won't need bigger injectors, i don't know i am just confused...any one know if i need to play with my injectors for that project to work??

MMamdouh
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

BUMP!

MMamdouh
Audacity Racing
moron

in january... i'll sell you my NA 1.6 :D
(header, testpipe (the one you already have but soon to be mine), cat-back, wiring harness, CAI, honda fuel rail, walbro pump, leggy injectors (i'm thinking they'll fit), NGK's, and all other necesary plumbing)
Audacity Racing
moron

it's getting dyno'd on october 1st...

i have a cat rplacement pipe (the thin walled stuff) for the test, yours is a permenant fixture :twisted:
Piante

Re: Boring a 1.5 SOHC to 1.6

Post by Piante »

mmamdouh wrote:i have been thinking of stroaking my 1.5 SOHC engine to make it a 1.6 SOHC so i went to the nearest matching 1.6 SOHC in the market here and it was the OPEL Corsa's 1.6 SOHC producing 101/6200 HP and 140/3000 Nm of torque.

i went through the specs of the engine and found out that it hase the same stroak as mine (81.5 mm) and the difference was in the bore (79 mm vs. 76.5 mm) so the only option available is boring the engine.

now my questions are:

is boring an engine safe?
any special parts i have to get whern i do that?
is it as easy as it sounds?
any tips you wanna share?

MMamdouh

Yes , is posible and safe, you can use the piston of Opel corsa 1.6 litros, bore 79mm ( stock) o can use en oversize 79.5mm, is absolutly safe an compatible.

Remenber, the engine Daewoo 1.5 lts is a franskenstein of a Opel C14SE ( 1.4 lts) and Opel C16SE ( 1.6 lts), The block is a C16SE, pistons C14se, conectid roods C16SE ( C14se usea the same roods) an Crankshaft of C16se, Daewoo 1.5 litros is , bore 77.6mm an storke 81.5mm.

Cya
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

now if i decided to go with the boring project i guess i have to get the 1.6 injectors as well (purple colar)... if the engine capacity is going up with the fuel supply is the same then i guess i will be running lean and can damage the engine... right??

MMamdouh
KIMO

Post by KIMO »

dear sir

are you have the old problem with the new installed injectors