Help.. excessive tire wear..

Transmissions, Clutches, torque converters, Gear ratios, Brakes, Pads, etc.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

scarr
Junior

Help.. excessive tire wear..

Post by scarr »

I've got a 2000 Lanos HB. Just recently, over the passed 2 months or so, I've had an incredible amount of wear on my passenger-side front tire. It's ridiculous just how much wear has happened in so short a time.

What I'm looking at is this. I bought some 17" Konig Verdict rims with brand new Yokohama tires about 8 months ago. Now I'm having to replace the passenger-side front tire. It's worn so bad that it's almost completely bald now. The other 3 tires show no signs of abnormal wear. The tread depth measures out the same +/- a minuscule amount for all 3.

What I've done:

I've taken them back to Discount Tire where I got them, none were out of balance.
I took the Lanos over to an alignment shop to check that. According to them my alignment was almost (pardon my french) damned near perfect. (Considering I got it it aligned back when I got the rims)

Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing this?
Audacity Racing
moron

Post by Audacity Racing »

is it lowered?
BosnianLanos
Expert

Post by BosnianLanos »

Perhaps something wasn't allowing your hub and wheel surface to come into contact properly, like maybe a metal shaving or rock, and the wheel was off camber just a bit, but it wouldn't show during alignment.

Just a bit off could put a hell of a lot of stress on the tire and cause it to wear improperly.
SickDrift
Junior

Post by SickDrift »

How many miles are on your car? Have you had the axle inspected? Bearings? Im not real familiar with FWD vehicles, which is the drive wheel?How many miles do you have on the tires? Did you rotate the tires since purchase? What model tire is it? Prolly the es100, or the avs would be my guess.

Im sorry about the poor wear. It was always hard telling a customer "I dont know" when I was selling tires. I can almost guarantee it's not a defective tire. Discount is very good about helping people out. I was a manager with them for 3 years, i saw this occasionally.

If you havent purchased a new tire already be sure to ask them to "help" you out. Maybe give you a prorated price. Since those tires dont come with a milage warranty they wont suggest it, but they can very easily. Especially if you purchased the "certs." They most likely wont replace it for free, since it's mechanical wear, but definately ask them to give you a better price. For the mark up on those tires, (discount makes a large amount of money on Yok's) they can give you some kind of break.

Good luck. Let us know what you find out.

PS: maybe take your car to a different alignment shop with different type of equipment. They may have different findings.
LG
2001 Leganza
Completely stock brutha!
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

not really sure about that... if it was alignment then it should have showen in the car's behaviour or so... did hte car feel funny or wonder under braking, acceleration??

also what is the wear pattern on the tire? is it the outer part, inner part or all over the tread? also is it uniform or on random spots?

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
SickDrift
Junior

Post by SickDrift »

mmamdouh wrote:not really sure about that... if it was alignment then it should have showen in the car's behaviour or so... did hte car feel funny or wonder under braking, acceleration??

also what is the wear pattern on the tire? is it the outer part, inner part or all over the tread? also is it uniform or on random spots?

MMamdouh
You're part right. If it is only a camber issue, and not a toe or caster problem, the steering would be noticably different in feel. But it is a good question. What is the wear problem? I have seen it when 1 tire has worn completely even and the others had tons of tread.

LG
LG
2001 Leganza
Completely stock brutha!
dhd

Post by dhd »

have u did tires rotations every 10.000 km :?:

dhd
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

i rotate mine every 5000 kms... my driving is very "abrasive".

MMamdouh
scarr
Junior

Post by scarr »

Well, I finally got the Lanos into a friend's shop. His "conclusion" on my problem is that my right front strut is completely blown and that my left front strut is going to go sometime in the near future.

What do you guys think? Could that be it?
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

can't tell unless you show us a pic of the worn tire so we can diagnose the wear pattern... a bad shock absorber will eventually lead to worn tires but it leavs a certain pattern of wear than can be easly detected... need a pic to decide on that.

MMamdouh
delphis
Expert

Post by delphis »

you know I am having the same problem, I got my tire replaced almost 8 months ago and there wear on that same exact tire is insane compared to the other tires. I try to rotate them often just back to front and front to back but it is still only that one tire and my car pulls pretty hard to the left once this tire wares down more. I am just shy of 100k and I have a 2000 lanos hb se.
1989 240sx fastback with SR20DE
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

could it be wheel spin? "burning out" will cause very fast wear of yor tire

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!
delphis
Expert

Post by delphis »

hey scarr is the excessive ware on the inside on the tire?
1989 240sx fastback with SR20DE
SickDrift
Junior

Post by SickDrift »

it could very well be the strut. it's easy to tell. If the wear is "hilly" in appearance (severe cupping) then it was probably caused by the worn strut. what happens is that the strut is no longet keeping the tire in constant, even contact with the road, so the tire starts taking the brunt of the impact.
LG
2001 Leganza
Completely stock brutha!
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

this is why i was crying for a pic of the worn tire for the past 10,000 years, the wear pattern will reveal the cause of the wear.

MMamdouh