turbo

Forced induction, NA tunning, exhaust, just performance

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

woodae
Super

turbo

Post by woodae »

I was wondering about a turbo for a 1.5l SOHC, i saw that fox-racing had a turbo kit to bring the horse power up to 170hp. Would you have to get a new feul rail and injectors and what else would you have to do other then Pistons, exhaust, turbo. Would you need a chip or anything i am new at this but I understand engines. I think bringing my car to a fun power would be awesome, right now my car is sooooooooo gutless, it always smells like gas. I think an oxygen sensor is gone. but turbo sounds inticing
lanos2001
Expert

Post by lanos2001 »

go to this thread and it should answer your questions. but you don't necessrily need forged internals if you're only pushing about 6psi of boost. but yeah 360dynamics can get most of the setup for you.

http://www.daewootech.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3400

nick

save a tree, eat a beaver.
python235
Junior

Post by python235 »

well i advise u not to turbo a 1.5 SOHC!
its not worth it!
costs alot! the engine lifes going to half time!
and plus it wont be easy to keep it running with out problems!
so if ur willing to put money on the car go for an engine swap!
might cost as a turbo setup or less (Depends on where u live)
for example in jordan if i want a full turbo kit that costs 1000 jds and for a c20xe WITH the f20 cr gear and ECU and everything fwith it costs 600 JDS
so do ur math and see what u want to do!
but i prefer an engine swap c20xe
VX
ubuyau
Expert

Post by ubuyau »

http://www.daewootech.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3189
http://www.daewootech.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2755

Turboing the 1.5 SOHC is a great idea! It gives it great amounts of torque and makes it far more enjoyable to drive, especially around twisties and up hills - no more down shifting to make it up - accelerate all the way!

Check out the above two threads. My kit has been running awesomely smooth and reliable for a long time now @ 6psi - the only thing that went was the clutch that was already slipping before the turbo (it actually lasted pretty well considering).

For low boost you dont need to go that overboard in my opinion with forgies and upgraded rails etc. The car feels like it'll handle alot more boost than 6psi - but ive never tested it.... ive been very pleased @ 6psi...

Considering the 1.5 SOHC has 63kw standard @ the flywheel... the idea of 170hp from a "simple" turbo kit is a little optimistic... maybe the kit includes pistons, rods, full piggyback fuel and ignition computer, etc for those sort of numbers?

--Tim
Joso
Super

Post by Joso »

ubuyau, do you know how much power does your car have with the turbo installed?
ubuyau
Expert

Post by ubuyau »

Joso wrote:ubuyau, do you know how much power does your car have with the turbo installed?
I had a very bad dyno experience with very unbelievable numbers...
I havent found another reputable shop to do another run.

--Tim
cpd
Super

Post by cpd »

I'm thinking I'm just gonna go for the C20XE when I upgrade and do the car up. Gonna be reaaall nice.

I've seen a problem... Guy at my work has a Turbo Astra; it's in getting something done to the head. He doesn't know a whole lot about cars, but the gist I get is that it's overheating even at stock boost and good fuel. Basically what that leads me to believe is that the C20LET and Z20LET (the one he has) aren't really meant for Australia without intercooling, due to our hot days (ubuyau, fkn 46, remember NYD? :P ).

So pretty much, it'd cost me a shitload to get an LET, plus a good gearbox, etc etc... So I'll stick with 110kw, and keep current gearbox. It'll be easy to find a C20XE, well, a lot easier than an LET.

Gonna do this thing up realllll nice. Either like one of the following 2 pics. Probably more like the blue one. Although I'm thinking of doing the whole dual exhaust thing, one on either side. ;)

Additionally!

Big Eye Pictures - Best art evar!
woo
Expert

Post by woo »

ubuyau wrote:
I had a very bad dyno experience with very unbelievable numbers...
I havent found another reputable shop to do another run.

--Tim
dont get you car dyno'd at MRT in meadowbank, because they wouldnt give my uncle the figures for his WRX. To add insult to injury, they swapped his intercooler with a dented one from a rally car that was there. Thats why it pays to put a mark on any parts that could be swapped
330w carbon kevlar
you'd better believe thats a paddlin

"a woman is like a refridgerator, bout 6ft tall, 300 pounds........."
ubuyau
Expert

Post by ubuyau »

My experience wasnt that bad, i just think the dyno was out by a long way and the guys didnt quite know what they were doing as the "regular guy" was out...

I remember that really hot day. Turbo's tend to make the engine bay REALLY hot!

Why not rebuild your 1.5 to handle crazy amounts of boost? :)

--Tim
cpd
Super

Post by cpd »

ubuyau wrote:Why not rebuild your 1.5 to handle crazy amounts of boost? :)
Ehhhh. No.

It's a 12 year old engine... poor thing. :(

I replaced the head gasket and had the head all cleaned + machined like October last year, but nah. I'll just go C20LET.

Then it'll be 'woo cruise time!
Big Eye Pictures - Best art evar!