Hood scoop - (Project Phase 1 Completed with Pics on Page 4)

Body Kits, Rims, Suspension, Wings, Lighting etc and exterior detailing.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

JohnnyC
Expert

Hood scoop - (Project Phase 1 Completed with Pics on Page 4)

Post by JohnnyC »

When you guys installed your hood scoops, did you do it to your original hood?

What did you use to cut through the hood?

Did you buy your scoop or did you design it yourself?

When you say you "molded it" to the hood, what did you use to mold it?

Did you have to repaint the entire hood after you were done?

If you did have to repaint it... did you have to strip the original paint off first?

How long did it take to complete?

Was your Woo undrivable durring the process?

If you make it functional, how do you keep water from entering in the scoop and causing problems in your car?

I know... plenty of questions, but I'm thinking about doing a scoop in the spring, so... just trying to get a feel for what I need to do... you know... mis en place. :)
Last edited by JohnnyC on Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:59 pm, edited 4 times in total.
lanos2001
Expert

Post by lanos2001 »

1. yes

2. i just used a little 4 inch cutter

3. i got one premade then added on to it

4. i first used fiberglass matting (sheets with resin) then i used fiberglass gel to get my slopes in it

5. yes i repainted the entire hood but then again i redid the whole car.

6. i just had to strip it down to the metal where i put the hoodscoop b/c fiber glass sheets bond better ot the metal from what i was told. the rest i just sanded down a bit and wetsanded and painted right over the rest. oh and i primered the scoop and any other spot that went through the paint.

7. i only have class twice a week for four hours it took me a good month but i could've done it in like a week if i really wanted to at home.

8. no it was driveable b/c before i even started to mold it i put screws in to hold it down.

9. water isn't really that big of a concern on the hood since it would only be a bit goin in. but it really depends where you put the scoop if you put it right over the airfilter then just get a filter with a heat shield so it protects it more. but unless you do what bosnianlanos did then you'll be fine. on a side note though i would recommend to put a screen in before you permanently put on the scoop so you have a screen to filter out leaves and stuff. i forgot :oops:

anything else?

nick

save a tree, eat a beaver.
JohnnyC
Expert

Post by JohnnyC »

No. All of that was good info :) Thanks! :)

If anyone else has anything to add, please feel free to let me know. :)
Audacity Racing
moron

Post by Audacity Racing »

be real careful how you pick your sizing and location. look at the skelton on your hood before you choose what to do. nick's was pretty easy, but if he had moved it back where mine is it's a different story
lanos2001
Expert

Post by lanos2001 »

oh yeah good point kenny.

nick

JohnnyC
Expert

Post by JohnnyC »

Hehe... Well.. I'm going with non-functional. I like the look of a center scoop but since the air intake is on the right side of the car, doesn't exactly lend itself well to fitting in there. So in the end I decided to go with a kind of WRX style scoop that is just for appearance sake... Yeah yeah... I know, that's cheesier, but I don't really care! Cause it's gonna look cool when it's on!

Now... I just have to find a perfect match to the silver paint I currently have on the car (gotta look it up and such unless someone already has and can just tell me what brand/color I need to buy). Eventually I'll be getting the Lanos repainted, but in the meanwhile, I'll make sure my accessories match :)

Oh... and by the way, I got the scoop for $48 including shipping. Should arrive around monday or so... Also... keep a close eye out if you're looking for a hood scoop as far as prices go. I found the same exact hood scoop that I bought for $70-$99 all over the place and one place that had it for $39 + shipping.

This is the pic they show after the scoop has been painted on a honda... but it should work just fine on my Lanos:

(I've always wanted a hood scoop) hehe :lol:
lanos2001
Expert

Post by lanos2001 »

well glad to know you got what you wanted but i'm sad that you don't wanna make it functional. but to each his own. definately get pics when you put it on.

nick

JohnnyC
Expert

Post by JohnnyC »

I may go back and make it functional when I get the whole car re-painted. Hehe I'll definately show some pics when I get it all done. Hey... you don't know where I can find the color code for my stock silver paint would ya?
Audacity Racing
moron

JohnnyC
Expert

Post by JohnnyC »

You're the man Audacity :) Thanks :D
Audacity Racing
moron

make it fuctional... with an air-box like this...

JohnnyC
Expert

Post by JohnnyC »

Heheh that's a future prospect. For now the look... later the functionality. :) hehe Hey... I'm lookin' all over and not finding a good place that allows me to find the paint color I need. Also... am I going to need to add a layer of clear coat on this?
lanos2001
Expert

Post by lanos2001 »

well i know there is a paint chart somewhere on here. just to search for it. but yeah clear would make it shine or you can just go with single stage paint which has some clear mixed in with it. but i say go with base coat clear coat.

nick

FearTheWoo

Post by FearTheWoo »

The 'woos I'm familiar with roll out of the factory with what they call a "single-stage" paint job, which is where they mix in the clearcoat with the paint. This cheapens the cost of the job, while still sealing the paint and offering (although less that the multi-stage, higher quality jobs) some level of protection to your paint job.

You'll want to know (you may even be able to tell by looking at it, as they don't tend to hold up as well to the elements unless well maintained) whether or not yours is a single-stage or has an independent clearcoat, as you may find that adding a clearcoat to your scoop will make it too glossy compared to your hood when you assemble everything.

Places to look would be along the plastic side-trim and door handles -- for some reason the paint doesn't like to stick to the different kinds of plastic they use for those parts too well. It may look darker along the edges of the trim or faded on the handles, either of those should send up flags of a single-stage job.

My reccomendation would be to mock up a base-coat/clear-coat to check the differences in "shine" factor when compared to your hood. Try it on a scrap piece of smooth plastic or fiberglass. But then if you're planning on having it repainted, this may be overkill.

Post pics of your progress, love to see how its coming along.

Geoffrey
JohnnyC
Expert

Post by JohnnyC »

Right on :) Thanks for the advice. I'm currently waiting on the shipping and such for it.