Hood scoop - (Project Phase 1 Completed with Pics on Page 4)

Body Kits, Rims, Suspension, Wings, Lighting etc and exterior detailing.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

JohnnyC
Expert

Post by JohnnyC »

lanos2001 wrote:well since your not putting clear coat on it just wetsand with 2000 right before you put the last coat on.

nick
Hmmm... how thick of a coat should I put on for the last coat... The light coats I've been putting on it so far don't come out with that slick look... Or should I put it on thicker?
lanos2001
Expert

Post by lanos2001 »

on the last one at least just put it on thicker then. well not thicker but go over it once then wait a bit then put on another and another if need be.

nick

ps. sine autobody is $65 an hour, i'm gonna go by posts so you owe me some money fool. j/k :lol:

save a tree, eat a beaver.
JohnnyC
Expert

Post by JohnnyC »

Hmmm I'll have to see how it looks after I sand it later.
JohnnyC
Expert

Post by JohnnyC »

How long should I need to wait for it to cure before I should wet-sand it?
JohnnyC
Expert

Post by JohnnyC »

Does anyone know how long my enamel spraypaint needs to cure before sanding?
JohnnyC
Expert

Post by JohnnyC »

Wow... guess not. I've heard anything from 5 days to 2 weeks... and not fully cured (no wax) until 6 months down the road. Aparently it gives the paint time to let it's solvents evaporate.

I haven't sanded yet... It's just curing. So... maybe it'll be ready to prep... or not. :)
wOo-TaNg
Super

Post by wOo-TaNg »

what website is the hoodscoop from?
JohnnyC
Expert

Post by JohnnyC »

Car Xpressions... found it in a search for "WRX hood scoop" on google (I think). But if you search that... you'll notice I found it for roughly half the price of every other site. :D The shipping was a little unnerving since they shipped it FedX and reported UPS in their email. But I got it just the same, exactly as described. I'll take a pic in it's current state soon.
JohnnyC
Expert

Post by JohnnyC »

Well... I wet sanded it down since I didn't like the look of the finish on it. I actually expected better results from the wet sanding. I've used some pretty high level sandpaper in the past and I remember things turning out shinier. Maybe I was using higher then 2000 back then or something?

Anyway... I took it out and re-sprayed it down with another coat since there was one spot where I could see some primer. I decided to go a little thicker on this last bit since I figured it was the last of the paint I had in the can and wanted to see how the finish would look after a thicker coat. Well... All seemed like it was going well until the can sprayed out some paint that had a bit of texture to it... mostly down on the edges but a little on the top too...

I'll be waiting for a few days for it to cure before I do anything else to it... so here's my questions:

Although it's single stage, it isn't giving off the same kind of polished look my hood has, does this mean I should wet sand the paint when it cures and put on some clear coat to give it a more glossy look?

I noticed also that the color of the scoop is slightly darker then the hood. The color difference isn't horrible and not a MAJOR concern since I plan on eventually having the entire car re-sprayed black in the future, but I'm curious if this has more to do with the lack of shininess?

Any tips/experiences/advice would be greatly appreciated.
JohnnyC
Expert

Post by JohnnyC »

It's gettin' there... slowly:

lanos2001
Expert

Post by lanos2001 »

lookin good man. if you do want that shiny look i guess you can go with clear coat in a spray but just be very careful b/c like i said it can chip easily.

nick

lanos2001
Expert

Post by lanos2001 »

oh and if you do go with clear coating it you might wanna just wet sand it and re-spray some paint first, since you pretty much let the paint cure already, then spray some clear on it when its pretty much dry but a little tacky (touch the paper around it to see). that way the clear can stick to it. and i'm guessing if you put on enough clear coatings on it then it should be alright. i was just thinkin that i don't think i put enough on there when i did it back in the day but i'm still a little uneasy about clear in a can.

nick

JohnnyC
Expert

Post by JohnnyC »

Yeah... I'll most likely just wet sand it and then try to buff/polish it. I have a mouse sander with a rotary buffer option to it... So I can use that. Recommendations on type of buffing stuff to get?
lanos2001
Expert

Post by lanos2001 »

3M is what i use. i think i used buffing compound that said on the bottle like "3M buffing III or 3000" something like that. just ask the place what to get for your application b/c i used that on clear coat. but 3M would be the brand to go with.

nick

JohnnyC
Expert

Post by JohnnyC »

Cool. I don't think I'll be hitting that until tomorrow since I want to let it cure for another day at least before I start the sanding.