Headlamp Fades

Body Kits, Rims, Suspension, Wings, Lighting etc and exterior detailing.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

gianfranco

Headlamp Fades

Post by gianfranco »

Hi, I have a Nubira and my wife has a Matiz. With the matiz I've noticed that the headlamps are fading because off the sun. Is there any proven procedure to restore them? Some sanding/polishg?

Thanks
Gianfranco
BosnianLanos
Expert

Post by BosnianLanos »

There is a compound called Meguiars PlastX that I used to get rid of the fading/oxidation on my car and it works like a dream. Simply pour a small amount onto the headlight and rub it in and buff it out. All the yellow crap will go away and you will be left with an almost-new headlight. It can't bring back th shine perfectly, because the fading comes as the plastic covering of the headlight wastes away, but you can make them look presentable again.

http://www.superiorcarcare.net/meplclplclpo.html

If you cannot get your hands on that stuff, just get some higher grade car polish and work a little bit harder with an orbital polishing device. It will yeild good if not better results.
JohnnyC
Expert

Post by JohnnyC »

I found this bit of info on another site that could help... It has some instructions as well on there. :)
Audacity Racing
moron

Post by Audacity Racing »

check the article of interests in the general section... there is a link to a plastic polishing and headlight restoration technique
gianfranco

Post by gianfranco »

Where exactly is the article? I couldn't find it.

Thanks
Gianfranco
Audacity Racing
moron

Post by Audacity Racing »

gianfranco

Post by gianfranco »

Thanks, I've tried with the plastic polish with hand aplication, but not with good results. My headlamps are in worst condition. I'll try to sand it with 600 grade, and then I'll try with an orbital polisher.

Thanks
Gianfranco
JohnnyC
Expert

Post by JohnnyC »

gianfranco wrote:Thanks, I've tried with the plastic polish with hand aplication, but not with good results. My headlamps are in worst condition. I'll try to sand it with 600 grade, and then I'll try with an orbital polisher.

Thanks
I think you're supposed to do it at 600 then 800 then 1000 then 1500 then 2000 then the polish to get the kind of results I think you're looking for.
racer95
Junior

Post by racer95 »

i did that last saturday with car polish,but no very nice results.
the crome in the inside look nice but the plastic not changed.tomorrow i will try if i find this product or something like it in my country and work again :?
-1.6L ohc kadett engine
-14"rims and tires
-custom type of Racer
-Boschmann sound system

Standard Motor Company
JohnnyC
Expert

Post by JohnnyC »

racer95 wrote:i did that last saturday with car polish,but no very nice results.
the crome in the inside look nice but the plastic not changed.tomorrow i will try if i find this product or something like it in my country and work again :?
I think it must be lense polish, car polish wouldn't do it right. You should be sure to clean all of the car polish off the lenses with alcohol and such. :)