My Gates timing belt kit arrived... uh oh. hehe

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

JohnnyC
Expert

Post by JohnnyC »

No... Don't want to buy the tool and re-sell it... 42mm Crow's Foot eh. I'll have to see about that one, might be an easier find.
JohnnyC
Expert

Post by JohnnyC »

delphis wrote:could always see if someone has a 42mm crows foot, it is almost identical but has a different angle on the handle. Its what my buddy and I used when we changed my belt because no one had that tool.
You're absolutely sure it was a 42mm crows foot? Because what I think I may do is make my own Timing Belt Tensioner. If it is essentially a thin 42mm wrench end, I can easily make that tool... Of course I want to make sure it was in fact a 42mm crows foot, because I would HATE to make this tool and find out it needed to be a 40mm wrench.
delphis
Expert

Post by delphis »

I am almost 99.9% sure that it is 42mm might want to wait and let one of the pros confirm this though. :)
1989 240sx fastback with SR20DE
JohnnyC
Expert

Post by JohnnyC »

Oh boy... haha I just got off the phone with a mechanic at a dealership that used to sell Daewoo's. They still service them there though. Guess what. He doesn't have a J-42492 Timing Belt Tensioner tool either. He has answered the question and I will relay it to you guys so you realize how bloody easy that step is to get around.

1. Follow all the steps to where you're looking at the belt and are ready to take it off the car (not going into all that right now)

2. Make sure all your your marks are in the proper position.

3. If you're changing your tensioner bearing, you can just take the tensioner off. Your belt should be very easy to take off at that point.

4. If you're not changing your tensioner bearing, shame on you... and you can do another method. Using a screwdriver or a pry bar, pry back the tensioner bearing by levering off of the power steering pump towards the back of the car. Then just remove the belt.

Please discuss this new bit of info I just got. You think it's sound advice? Potential things I might want to keep an eye out for if I try this method? Comments? Beauler? ... Beauler?
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

thats how my mechanic does the job... he got no idea what a 42mm crows foot is.

on the other hand when he replaces the water pump he finds a way to adjust it other than using a 42mm crows foot as well... not sure how but i know he doesn't use a special tool to do it.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
gianfranco

Post by gianfranco »

Here you can see the pic of the tool, and also you can find the drawing in case you'd like to get from a machine shop.

Regards
http://www.daewootech.com/forum/viewtop ... ght=j42492
Gianfranco
cpd
Super

Post by cpd »

Wtf, you could use a shifter for that.

It looks like the thing I use to pop out my window winders...
Big Eye Pictures - Best art evar!
JohnnyC
Expert

Post by JohnnyC »

Heading out to the garage in a couple minutes to set up and begin work on this. YAY! Well... wish me luck! hehe

If I get stuck or something, I'm sure I'll be in here explaining it all.

I'll take the camera out with me so some of you guys can get a look at the guts of the DOHC without having to take it apart to see it.
JohnnyC
Expert

Post by JohnnyC »

How do you untighten the bolts on the power steering pully without it spinning on you without damaging it?
JohnnyC
Expert

Post by JohnnyC »

Okay... figured that out... The belt has to be taken off after. Got the bolts out... but how do I get the pull itself off. There is a center hex like thing in the center... What do I use for that?
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

you got to loosen them with the alternator belt on to prevent ot from spinning in vain.

MMamdouh
JohnnyC
Expert

Post by JohnnyC »

JohnnyC wrote:Got the 3 bolts out... but how do I get the pully itself off. There is a center hex like thing in the center... What do I use for that?
Heheh... still haven't figured out how to get that out.
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

i don't think the hex thingy holds the pully... i recon you need to tap on the pully lightly to let it lose.

MMamdouh
JohnnyC
Expert

Post by JohnnyC »

Ummm... It seems to be on there pretty good despite the three bolts being out of it. Here is a look at what I'm talking about:

That bolt in the center that is blown up. I can't seem to figure out how to remove that.

I've tried tapping the pully lightly and nothing happens. The pully itself has a little wiggle now that I've got the bolts out of it... but actually removing it is giving me some trouble. Anyone know?
JohnnyC
Expert

Post by JohnnyC »

Awe... someone who knows please log in and post! ... I still haven't gotten that damn pully off. I can't get at the timing belt if I can't get through this part.