An easy way to convert your 1.6l to a 1.8??

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

frenchard101

An easy way to convert your 1.6l to a 1.8??

Post by frenchard101 »

This just poped into my head when i was reading about this guy who bored out his cylinders to increase the volume. the 1.6 has a 79x81.5 bore and stroke, lets say you add 3mm to both the bore and the stroke to make it 82x84.5. If you do the math for the volume of each cylinder it adds up to a total volume of about 1785cc. [pi x radius^2 x height = volume] so [pi x (8.2/2)^2 x 8.45] = 1785cc. After you bore out the cylinders you'd have to get new pistons installed, and you'd probably need to reprogram your fuel intake to add more fuel. i imagine you'd be able to get your cylinders bored out by an engine shop for a couple hundred bucks. Any of you guys ever considered this? it seems like a pretty easy route to a larger engine as opposed to a complete engine swap, not to mention you'd get the power of a 1.8 with the same size of your original 1.6. Now this is only a theory, there could be a number of things that would need messing with to make it perfect
Brian5475E
Expert

Post by Brian5475E »

I don't thin the 1.6 could handle a 3mm more. even if you could the block strenth would be degraded sevearly. I know I can't spell
Aveo that moves! Now I need those cams!
BosnianLanos
Expert

Post by BosnianLanos »

Yeah, a 3 mm bore would make the cylinder walls quite thin and in danger of blowing out. Besides, for all the necessary work, you could just drop in a 2.0L.
frenchard101

Post by frenchard101 »

yeah but the reasoning behind this was to save yourself money, cause a 2.0l is gonna cost you in the thousands.

Hmm, well how about making it an even longer stroke, would it be possible to add a few mm downward or would you face the same problem?
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

i did get the "add a few mm downward" but basicly in a stroaking project you get a crank shaft with longer travel and shorter connecting rods and so far the only confirmed stroaking projects are:

stroaking the 1350 to 1500
stroaking the 2000 to 2200

the 1600 got the same stroake as the 1500 so you only got a boring option for the 1500 to 1600 upgrade and i am not sure about the bore x stroak of the 1800 and 2000 so i am not sure about the possibility of any stroaking projects for the 1600 to 1800 or 1800 to 2000.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
BosnianLanos
Expert

Post by BosnianLanos »

frenchard101 wrote:yeah but the reasoning behind this was to save yourself money, cause a 2.0l is gonna cost you in the thousands.

Hmm, well how about making it an even longer stroke, would it be possible to add a few mm downward or would you face the same problem?
Well not really. If you were to widen the bore on your block, you would need to pull out your engine, drill the cylinder walls, perhaps work a little with the head, and then buy a set of custom pistons.

Labor and parts would be in the neighborhood of $2000-$3000 dollars, plus the amount of time you have to wait for everything to be set up. Also, if something goes wrong, bye-bye engine. With a 2.0L swap, you just pull the engine, drop in the new one, and work with the wiring until everything is right. Considering the engine costs maybe $500, and an engine swap takes about 10 hours of labor @ $65/hr, (quoted when I thought I would swap my engine) plus maybe a few hundred for the wiring, you have an engine swap for $1500-$2000. The 2.0L also has much more power potential than a bored 1.6.

Correct my numbers if I'm wrong.
DomWoo
Expert

Post by DomWoo »

frenchard101 wrote:yeah but the reasoning behind this was to save yourself money, cause a 2.0l is gonna cost you in the thousands.

i dont know about the rest of you but i can get a 2.0l for $400 and its only 9 miles from my house so can practiclypull it home on wagon if i had too.. :roll:

and a engine swap isnt hard at all. the only thing holding me back is i want to find a manual trany also. the 1.6 wires can run the 2.0 so all you need in the engine and componets
frenchard101

Post by frenchard101 »

400$ isnt bad at all, the only 2.0l engines i could find were on ebay for like 1200 bucks, not that i'd buy an engine from ebay considering the shipping, and if it was faulty youd most likely be screwed.
DomWoo
Expert

Post by DomWoo »

well actaully i have 2 engines to chose from that have that are DOHC and one that is a turbo 2.0 SOHC and can probabaly get that for even cheaper sence im good buddies with the owner of the junk yard