Lanos was 1600 Turbo - going 2 litre N/A

Forced induction, NA tunning, exhaust, just performance

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

M I N I O N

Post by M I N I O N »

I can see why you say the ring lands went. You may be flirting with disaster though trying to replace them with anything but a forged piston. Higher placed rings help seal for compression but make the ring land thinner and weaker. At the same note making it beefier woudl reduce the ring's ability to fully seal the combustion chamber. Your best bet me be to suck it up and go forged. There are a lot of companies that produce forged pistons here in the states, just the turn-around time can be a few months for custom applications.

I guess you're in the same boat as I am with my rods... I really want to replace the c20get rods with the newer, beefier ones from opel, but I know I'm going to break them too.

Good luck though. Let me know if you need the names of any forged piston manufacturers here.
wolfhound
Junior

Thanks Man

Post by wolfhound »

Only ones I could find were the Wiseco's from IPP. But the exchange rate makes them 6 times more expensive than the daewoo ones. For that price I can get a complete 16v 2 litre Super Boss motor and slot it in.

Budget wont stretch that far, but I know you are right. the forged ones are what i SHOULD be using.

Maybe I should speak to Mr. Bank Manager to increse my credit card limit ! Ha ha ha

Séan
Séan Brennan
1600 DOHC 16v
Turbo TD04
Wiseco Pistons
ex - 17" TSW Freeze
Yokohama Parado 205/40s
NOW = 18" TSW Terra's
Pirelli 215/35 P Zero Nero tyres
M I N I O N

Post by M I N I O N »

Ehhh... no car is worth going into debt over. If you can get a Wiseco part number you can check the price factory direct right off their website.

If no other option is available I'd ask the boss for more hours before I upped the credit card limit. Just a suggestion though. :?
wolfhound
Junior

Broken piston

Post by wolfhound »

Here is a picture of the Opel piston that broke in the motor.

Next one attached will show the slot in the piston... the reason it broke and lastly, the stronger solid Daewoo piston

Séan

Séan Brennan
1600 DOHC 16v
Turbo TD04
Wiseco Pistons
ex - 17" TSW Freeze
Yokohama Parado 205/40s
NOW = 18" TSW Terra's
wolfhound
Junior

Look into the light

Post by wolfhound »

Séan Brennan
1600 DOHC 16v
Turbo TD04
Wiseco Pistons
ex - 17" TSW Freeze
Yokohama Parado 205/40s
NOW = 18" TSW Terra's
wolfhound
Junior

ANd the winner is

Post by wolfhound »

The genuine Woo piston. much stronger, this time we are doing away with the stainless steel deck plate and are going to re-size the connecting rods 1.5mm shorter.

HOPEFULLY back on the road either this weekend or next.

Séan
Séan Brennan
1600 DOHC 16v
Turbo TD04
Wiseco Pistons
ex - 17" TSW Freeze
Yokohama Parado 205/40s
NOW = 18" TSW Terra's
ubuyau
Expert

Post by ubuyau »

Talk about broken ring lands!!! :smt119

--Tim
wolfhound
Junior

Post by wolfhound »

YUP ! and all four broken in the same place and after only 40kms.

When I break it, i break it good\

Séan
:lol: :lol:
Séan Brennan
1600 DOHC 16v
Turbo TD04
Wiseco Pistons
ex - 17" TSW Freeze
Yokohama Parado 205/40s
NOW = 18" TSW Terra's
Efratech
Admin

Post by Efratech »

Its a good thing that you've taken this on the funny side.

are you sure you were in low boost ?
'88 Pontiac Lemans GTE - 2.0 16v XE - fully programable ECU, Custom made intake manifold and other bits.
146.6WHP/135lb.ft - 14.81@94mph
wolfhound
Junior

Maybe a bit high

Post by wolfhound »

Running the std actuator on the TD04, but we had to lengthen the actuator rod around the manifold so it was a bit of guess, and instead of 0.5, it was boosting to 0.7. however. SO the rod is getting made just a tad bit longer to bring it all back in line. But as you can see from the pics the slot behind the oil groove just caused the crown to flex way to much under boost.

HOPEFULLY get it all back together this Saturday and vroom vroom.

Like I said we are doing away with the deck plate this time and dropping the rods by 1.5mm - less stuff to go wrong- hopefully.

Séan
Séan Brennan
1600 DOHC 16v
Turbo TD04
Wiseco Pistons
ex - 17" TSW Freeze
Yokohama Parado 205/40s
NOW = 18" TSW Terra's
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Re: Thanks Man

Post by PrecisionBoost »

wolfhound wrote:Only ones I could find were the Wiseco's from IPP. But the exchange rate makes them 6 times more expensive than the daewoo ones. For that price I can get a complete 16v 2 litre Super Boss motor and slot it in.

Budget wont stretch that far, but I know you are right. the forged ones are what i SHOULD be using.

Maybe I should speak to Mr. Bank Manager to increse my credit card limit ! Ha ha ha

Séan
You lucky Bastard..... if only I lived in South Africa.... I'd have seven Super Boss Astra's.... a different color for each day :badgrin:

I have a half dozen sets of pistons kicking around in my garage.... I could give you a set of used C20GET ( 8:1 Mahle forged pistons)... but they are the factory 86mm diameter.... did you have to enlarge your bore on your engine???

The biggest problem is allways shipping..... I have a pile of stuff I want to get from South Africa but the shipping is really expensive.

RACELINE quoted me ZAR 9553.00 for shipment of a few body kits. (which is about $1450 CDN )

Considering it was going to be around ZAR 6400 for three front bumpers, three rear bumpers, two sets of sideskirts and a set of Altezza lights I'm somewhat hesitant to spend that much money on shipping.

Sure the body kits are a great price but I just don't know if they are worth the money.

Originally I was dealing with Autostyle (http://www.autostyle.co.za ) but they forwarded my requests to the manufacturer (raceline) because they don't do overseas shipping to Canada.
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos
Efratech
Admin

Post by Efratech »

Chris are u sure the c20get are forged?
'88 Pontiac Lemans GTE - 2.0 16v XE - fully programable ECU, Custom made intake manifold and other bits.
146.6WHP/135lb.ft - 14.81@94mph
wolfhound
Junior

cheap for a reason

Post by wolfhound »

The race line stuff is cheap for a reason.

AND Autostyle deal with what we call grey products - the local importers do not carry the warranty on electronic goods that they sell, also the body kits they sell are know to be really bad fit.

You do get what you pay for. unfort.

Séan
Séan Brennan
1600 DOHC 16v
Turbo TD04
Wiseco Pistons
ex - 17" TSW Freeze
Yokohama Parado 205/40s
NOW = 18" TSW Terra's
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Thanks for the info on Raceline and Autostyle... I'll probably look for something from the UK instead
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos
woo
Expert

Post by woo »

chris@PrecisionBoost wrote:Thanks for the info on Raceline and Autostyle... I'll probably look for something from the UK instead
if you are looking for bodykits, consider contacting jetspeed down in australia, because from what i have seen they are pretty good quality and look alright
330w carbon kevlar
you'd better believe thats a paddlin

"a woman is like a refridgerator, bout 6ft tall, 300 pounds........."