Motor drop - Motor mount bent ruined - Need advice

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

JohnnyC
Expert

Motor drop - Motor mount bent ruined - Need advice

Post by JohnnyC »

Well... I've got a problem on my hands. My motor mount on the driver's side of the car has slipped/broke/failed? or Perhaps the rear motor mount... don't know as I'm not crawling under there right now to see.

My wife was driving on her way home coming up a hill in 3rd gear... suddenly the car slipped to neutral and she couldn't put it back up into third... luckily she was almost home and she put it in second and drove the last couple hundred feet back to the house in 2nd gear.

Upon inspection, it looks as though the motor mount on the right hand side has slipped. Which then dropped everything lower and made it so you can't shift into any of the upper gears.

Here are some pics to help explain the problem:

1. Where should I buy a new motor mount?
2. How difficult is it to replace a motor mount if you don't have any kind of motor lifting mechanisms (I don't think the ceiling in my garage is well suited to lifting an engine.
3. What kind of price range am I looking at to have a shop fix/replace the motor mounts and get my engine back up into place?
4. What kind of collateral damage can I expect?

Not happy as I know this is going to cost me time and money...

Suggestions? Comments... help?
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

damn dude... that sucks.

first off try to replace all 3 mounts while you are at it... those things tend to fail at the same time and the way it looks i recon the other engine mount at the fire wall is hurt as well so you only have the front mount left and from my experiance it is the weakest of them all.

you don't need to lift the engine from the top... use a peice of wood between the tranny case and a floor jack to level the engine back then take off the mounts one by one, this is how my mechanic used to do it.

collatral damade... i don't think their will be much as the wife didn't drive that long with the CVs at such sharp angle and she wasn't that fast either, the shift stick linkage will be back to normal operation once the engine is leveled back.

this is where i can help as i don't know much about your local service charges or parts prices but most probably is is going to be expensive... you can cut back on cost by doing it yourself... just keep the engine level and secured at all times.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

after reviewing the second pic i see the mount still pretty much in good shape... bent as hell but still in one peice.

the engine is leaning from the right side - assuming you are in front of the car looking to its front - and the mount with the metal support are leaning to the left which suggests that the break point is at the point where the metal arm bolts to the engine... the arm might be bent or missing one or more bolts.

i say give it a throughout inspection before buying any parts to determin whats wrong here as it doesn't seem like a mount problem... i personally had all three mounts torn but the engine was perfectly level in the engine bay, this looks more like a broken arm/bracket or so.

MMamdouh
JohnnyC
Expert

Post by JohnnyC »

MMamdouh wrote:after reviewing the second pic i see the mount still pretty much in good shape... bent as hell but still in one peice.

the engine is leaning from the right side - assuming you are in front of the car looking to its front - and the mount with the metal support are leaning to the left which suggests that the break point is at the point where the metal arm bolts to the engine... the arm might be bent or missing one or more bolts.

i say give it a throughout inspection before buying any parts to determin whats wrong here as it doesn't seem like a mount problem... i personally had all three mounts torn but the engine was perfectly level in the engine bay, this looks more like a broken arm/bracket or so.

MMamdouh
Well... Hmmm what arm/brackets are you referring to? I have zero experience with motor mounts and such. What should I be looking for?
Brian5475E
Expert

Post by Brian5475E »

I would say GM didn't fix this problem
Aveo that moves! Now I need those cams!
JohnnyC
Expert

Post by JohnnyC »

Is that yours? And what exactly went wrong with yours to do that?

Did you replace the motor mounts to fix it?
lanowoo
Expert

Post by lanowoo »

NO thats not his Aveo, i remember it being blue.
WOOOOO HOOOOO for a DAEWOO!!
-SRI -RE:APC STAINLESS STEEL PERFORMANCE FILTER
-VALVE COVER VENT FILTER
-CUSTOM ROD CRYSTAL DRIVING LIGHTS
-1200W AMP WITH 12" SUB -KICKS WOO BUTT!!!!!
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

my point is that the rubber mount and mount arm are sloping towards the engine and the rubber mount seems to be still firmly attached to the chassis so the breaking point should be at the area where the engine block and mount arm meet.

MMamdouh
JohnnyC
Expert

Post by JohnnyC »

Yeah. I see what you're saying. I was trying to find the mounting arms in the repair manual so I could compare it to the situation in the engine bay... but I can't find it in there for some stupid reason. In fact... if someone has an idea where I could find it in the manual... that would be very helpful.
JohnnyC
Expert

Post by JohnnyC »

Okay... inspection in the daylight...

There are 3 bolts that go into the transmission through the mounting arm. Two of those three bolts worked their way out and are gone... (the one closest to the engine and the upper one on the mounting arm.

There doesn't appear to be any other damage... SO...

Who knows what size bolts those are? I need to buy some.

09100-10012 is the part number for the bolts. (thanks Lanowoo for finding the model number on those bolts).
lanowoo
Expert

Post by lanowoo »

np. thats what i do! 8) too bad the cost to send them bolts to you, cost way more than the price of them.
WOOOOO HOOOOO for a DAEWOO!!
-SRI -RE:APC STAINLESS STEEL PERFORMANCE FILTER
-VALVE COVER VENT FILTER
-CUSTOM ROD CRYSTAL DRIVING LIGHTS
-1200W AMP WITH 12" SUB -KICKS WOO BUTT!!!!!
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

take the lase bolt out and go to home depot (its close, you can walk) get 3 new grade 8 bolts from there, you will have to use your remaining one as a refference but you can do it pretty easy

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

no thank you for me?? :(

MMamdouh
JohnnyC
Expert

Post by JohnnyC »

MMamdouh wrote:no thank you for me?? :(

MMamdouh
Heh... sorry man. Didn't mean to exclude you.
JohnnyC
Expert

Post by JohnnyC »

daewoomofo wrote:take the lase bolt out and go to home depot (its close, you can walk) get 3 new grade 8 bolts from there, you will have to use your remaining one as a refference but you can do it pretty easy
I already ordered bolts from DaewooUS... Got some OEM ones. They should arrive tomorrow or perhaps wednesday.

Yeah... it might be a bit more expensive that way... but it's freakin' cold out and I'm not gonna make my daughter sit through a 40 minute walk in 38 degree weather. heh