The longest Thread ever!!!

General, Humor, Post here everything that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

Rodd1s
Expert

Post by Rodd1s »

Pir0 wrote:I do know where you're coming from, personally im a bit fan of Pulsar gtir's, i love the wee things.

I was just talking about availability, reliability and cost effient ways to get over 100bhp :)

But i'd love to see what you come up with and would follow your project, would be interesting indeed with a smaller engine, you've got my backing if ya go for it, supercharger sounds good ^^
thanks for the support. im in the process of (considering) building up a collection of parts so that I can bolt it all on at once instead of the car having to be jacked up in the for a few weeks.
mainly because i use the car a lot and being at university now i dnt get much chance, other than weekends, to do anything with the car.
last week i took out the ma-hoosive woofer and amp. getting bored of big bass. well its fun, but annoying after a while.

the main reason im in favour of supercharging is its simplicity... no need for all that oil lines, vacuum lines etc... and it also runs a lot cooler.
a problem being not being able to find much info on custom supercharging (ie: manufacturing brackets, pipes, etc)
and there is one unused pulley on my engine.
Cargo cultism is a beautiful thing as long as you never fall for it.
Pir0
Expert

Post by Pir0 »

Im not 100% sure but what i was thinking off, on the likes of a coilpack redtop, there's a smaller puller on either the inlet or exhaust cam, for the coilpack, but, if you stick a coil, dizzycap etc on, it'll be unused too, superchargerrrrrrr.

I'm not sure how you would go about it though cause i know nothing about super chargers other than how they actually work
SAZ
---------------------
Rodd1s
Expert

Post by Rodd1s »

simple. they bolt to the engine itself using some form of a bracket.
the drivebelt spins the spindle inside, in turn sucking air in one side, hence forcing it out the other at pressure.
runs thru a pipe into the inlet manifold.

they dont require oil lines for lubrication as they mostly run at lower RPM then turbo, and they dnt have to use exhaust gases to spool, keeping them cool.
vacuum lines and blow-off valves are not required either as superchargers cannot reverse spool like turbos when you let off the gas.

you can have vacuum lines for blow-off valves of sorts on superchargers to let out excess air, but its not necessary as far as i know. keeping the inlet under pressure at all times is why they work so well at low RPM.
jidasas
Expert

Post by jidasas »

You're right about roots style and eaton superchargers running at lower rpms...but the centrifugal superchargers can still spin upwards of 60,000 rpms easily. It's still a good idea to run an intercooler with the supercharger too. The compressing of the air still creates heat and you can gain a little more power with an intercooler to keep things cool...of course with the roots/eaton style you can't really run an intercooler since they bolt directly to the intake manifold. You're not wrong in what you said...I just want to make certain you're not thinking about centrifugal unit because they can get a bit hotter and run higher rpms than the eaton style.

I bet a small eaton off of the 1.8 liter mercedes cars would be great on that car...decent boost since it runs 7 psi on the 1.8 you could tune it with the right pulley and keep your boost at that safe 7-8 psi level.

Jimmy
Rodd1s
Expert

Post by Rodd1s »

i have thought about centrifugal chargers, and they need a bit more work than eaton types.
the good thing about some of the merc chargers is they have a switch that activates at WOT. (which could help with fuel efficiency)
the only problem is trying to find someone selling a merc charger, ive seen one before for about £150, and then there are the BMW mini cooper s chargers going for about the same price. but i think i'd go with merc instead.
Rodd1s
Expert

Post by Rodd1s »

here are a few i found:

off a mercedes: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/EATON-SUPERCHARGE ... dZViewItem

bmw mini: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/mini-cooper-s-sup ... dZViewItem

bmw mini: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BMW-MINI-COOPER-S ... dZViewItem

seems they're not too hard to find then. lol

my main concern has always been the mounting bracket... would probably have to take it to a top quality metal worker.
jidasas
Expert

Post by jidasas »

As far as mounting it...couldn't you take the stock intake manifold and have a flange made from it and then have a machine shop make a small intake that the supercharger bolts onto...then you'd just need to find a way of running a belt up to it...I'm thinking you could use the alternator produced by boosthead.com...they used to have an alternator which had pulleys on both sides so you could use it to drive a supercharger but I can't find it on the site now. I prefer the mercedes unit as well.
Rodd1s
Expert

Post by Rodd1s »

mounting it straight to the inlet is an idea, but i would prefer an intercooler (either top mount or side mount, with a bonnet vent). obviously this means that the charger cannot be on the inlet.
to be honest, ive never actually had a proper look at what bolt holes are available on the engine block itself. will have to get a few pictures and draw up some diagrams at some point.
then again... the manual might have a few diagrams or info on the block... dunno.

also, i think a re-designed inlet that sits lower could help , creating more room above it, seeing as the inlet on the 1.3 is bent upwards like a set of bananas. lol
but in all honesty i'd like to be able to do as little modifications as possible if i ever need to revert to stock. (u never know)
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

so lets get this thing to 400 already!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

tell
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

me
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

about