another problem

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

lanosrider

another problem

Post by lanosrider »

i got a strange sound coming from under the hood when starting it sounds like a slipping belt .. but i dont have an air condition in my car wut could it be how can i fix it ... could it be the water pump or the generator ... any help i dont want the problem become bigger cuz i dont want any fearther problems ... thanx 4 help guys
lanowoo
Expert

Post by lanowoo »

Could be the belt with the alternator on it. see if it needs tightening or go to an auto store and get some stuff called belt dressing.. works like a charm.
WOOOOO HOOOOO for a DAEWOO!!
-SRI -RE:APC STAINLESS STEEL PERFORMANCE FILTER
-VALVE COVER VENT FILTER
-CUSTOM ROD CRYSTAL DRIVING LIGHTS
-1200W AMP WITH 12" SUB -KICKS WOO BUTT!!!!!
Spider
Expert

Post by Spider »

lanowoo wrote:Could be the belt with the alternator on it. see if it needs tightening or go to an auto store and get some stuff called belt dressing.. works like a charm.
I agree..the belt will probably be ok but has streached a little.
I had same problem with my lanos .... loosen up the adjusting bolt (at the top of the alternator) and put pressure on the alternator with a bar, makes the belt tighter..Now hold it tight while drawing up the bolt. This happened around 30~40k miles. This same belt was still doing fine when my timing belt broke at 102K miles :(

:)
~Spider~
2000 1.6 DOHC Lanos 'S'
Silver HB.

"The three great essentials to achieving anything worthwhile are; first, hard work, second, stick-to-it-iveness, and third, common sense."
- -- Thomas Edison
lanosrider

Post by lanosrider »

i changed my timing brlt on 60k miles .. now the car have done 100k miles and i have never changed nor tinhtned the alternator belt.... do u think i have to change it 4 the secound time ( timing belt )or shoukd i leave it until 120 k miles .. and i do give my car a hard time i push it always , when i changed the timeing the first time av changed all the pullys so no fear of any problem with those ...thnx guys
lanowoo
Expert

Post by lanowoo »

Ok, first of all i would advise you in the next 5k or so if not now, to change your timing belt, if its at 100k or 40k on the current timing belt and i would do that with all of the belts make it a habbit to change the belts within 30-40k or thats what ihave always been told to do, and yet no problems.. And on the alternator belt, id change it and use the owners manual or spreadsheet that you can record what u replaced and what mileage so you can estimate the next interval to change it. Now in replacing the alternator or as it is sometimes reffered to as the Serpentene belt, on the alternator, there is the bracket that it hangs off of, there is a bolt, loosen that and slide it fowards, then remove the alternator belt, then take a soft dry cloth and wipe the interworkings of the grooves on the pullies to get all residue left from the other belt.

Now slip the belt over the pullies and then take something to help hold the alternator back far enough to get a snug fit.

then drive it around, then when the belt retains a more elliptical shape loosen and retighten the bolt farther away from the engine.

Does that solve most future questions?? If i left anything out please add to this..
-VALVE COVER VENT FILTER
lanosrider

Post by lanosrider »

lanowoo wrote:Ok, first of all i would advise you in the next 5k or so if not now, to change your timing belt, if its at 100k or 40k on the current timing belt and i would do that with all of the belts make it a habbit to change the belts within 30-40k or thats what ihave always been told to do, and yet no problems.. And on the alternator belt, id change it and use the owners manual or spreadsheet that you can record what u replaced and what mileage so you can estimate the next interval to change it. Now in replacing the alternator or as it is sometimes reffered to as the Serpentene belt, on the alternator, there is the bracket that it hangs off of, there is a bolt, loosen that and slide it fowards, then remove the alternator belt, then take a soft dry cloth and wipe the interworkings of the grooves on the pullies to get all residue left from the other belt.

Now slip the belt over the pullies and then take something to help hold the alternator back far enough to get a snug fit.

then drive it around, then when the belt retains a more elliptical shape loosen and retighten the bolt farther away from the engine.

Does that solve most future questions?? If i left anything out please add to this..
thanx man ... ill change the belts soon but i want to ask u about the conic air filter , i got 1 but i dont have the crome extention u guys have the one from the manifold to the air filter and i dont think we have it here in my country, what could be the best solution to use my new air filter and have a cold air intake ... ... and 1 more question how many horse-powers duz it add to the engine ???......
1 more thing :p my electrition have put the maping of 1.6 dohc on my ecu ... and i got an 1.5 dohc engine .. will it make any problems?? .... and thax alot
lanowoo
Expert

Post by lanowoo »

ok...
now can you answer me this.. do you have a Autozone or some kinda automotive place they should have all that you need, and about the intake tube, you can use a dryer hose and a 3" piece of pvc pipe to make everything work out but make sure its the one with metal rings and not the collapseable plastic ones, I am not too familiar with the 1.5 per say, but that should work. but any place should have some kinda intake tube and etc for it.

Now, on the ecu bit. Ireally don't know, most of the stuff should be the same like same sensor voltage. but just the complete running and diags maybe diffrent.. id suggest in the upper right hand corner, use the search feature to see if anything you can get out of that,it should lead you in that answer.
-VALVE COVER VENT FILTER