Ok i need some serious help

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

AveoSSTurbo

Ok i need some serious help

Post by AveoSSTurbo »

I want to try to figure out how much its gonna cost me to make my aveo a 12 or 13 second car.
im guessing around 250 to the wheels???

I am obviously going to swap engines.

But here are the questions i have...

Should i boost or build all engine?
and what engine will work best.

I also do not know what all else will need to be upgraded.

Tranny...axels???

Im looking around the 10k or so price range when all said and done so if that influences what you think is best.

So pleasssssse help me. lol
i wanna start to do some serious work on this since winter is coming up and i wont be driving as much and ill have some extra time to work on my car.

:D

Thanks Guys.
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Hi AveoSSTurbo..... well.... I hate to burst your bubble but the only way your going to get 250 to wheels "all engine" is with a seriously modified 2.0L running nitrous.

You could probably break into the mid 13's with about 200whp if your Aveo was put on a diet. (remove spare tire, and any other unneccisary items )

To run a 12.5 1/4 mile 250whp would probably be required

Tranny will need to be upgraded for sure even at 200whp

The simplest method is to stay with your 1.6L and build it up with aftermarket UK/Europe parts.

Stand alone engine managment or a really decent piggy back would be required.

$10K should get her done but the question is if you can come up with the cash.

$500 here $200 there doesn't cut it... you would need some significant cash outlay to make things happen.

Honestly.... if you have $10K cash in hand .... I can give you a 12 second Aveo.

Basicly I would purchase a low mileage 1.6L and build it up with forged rods and pistons (perhaps even a steel or forged crank.... I'd have to see how much they are)

Massaged cylinder head, possibly upgraded valvetrain ( stronger valve springs, lightweight hardware for higher RPM redline ), custom intake and larger throttle body.

I'd install a new Garrett GT25 or GT28 turbo, custom turbo header, intercooler, blow off valve, electronic boost controller, larger injectors,standalone (or a good piggy back) engine management system, wideband O2 and Pyrometer

F20 gearbox with crytreated/shotpeened/nitrated gear sets, Quaife LSD and high performance paddle clutch.

Axles should be fine.... if not I know where I can get some that will do the trick.

Now.... that would probably get you very close to your 10K limit.... but if there were money left I'd suggest a set of drag slicks.... because it will be harder to get into the 12's without them.

The ideal situation if I had cash in hand would be to build the engine, install it in one of my cars (Lanos or Lemans), tune it, break it in and get it completely ready for a "drop in"

Then you'd have to drive up for a long weekend ( 3 days minimum) for the install.

I would have to take your stock engine and tranny in on trade as a replacement for the 1.6L and F20.

The idea would be to have the engine ready to go.... simply pull the old engine.... drop in the new one ( which would take a day )

Then the last two days would be spent getting the wiring straight, testing it on a dyno and finishing any tuning that is left over.

This would be built using quality components such as a real garrett turbo.... not those chinese GT28 replicas from EBAY.

So again....... I leave it up to you..... if you have 10K I can certainly help you out.
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos
AveoSSTurbo

Post by AveoSSTurbo »

What i would more than likely do is take out a 10K Loan to do the job.
And would the 1.6L still be reliable with all that into it?? i would also be using it as a daily driver.

if it is im going to seriously look to do this probably around january...ill save up a little cash so i dont have to take out such a large loan and ill probably be good and ready for it around january or february....and at that time it would be no problem for me to take a vaction from work to drive up to help with the install and such.
But PM me your AIM or MSN if you can so we can chat a little more.
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Basicly I would need some sort of deposit to get things started...... and it will take a bit to get the engine built up..... January might be pushing it for timeframe even if I started now.... hard to say... I'd have to see how busy the machine shops are these days.

Luckily a friend just started working as a machinist at a local shop that does quality 4 cylinder work..... so he might be able to slip it in earlier.

From the inital deposit it would probably take a month (at best) to get the engine together (mostly due to a backup of work... the machining only takes a day or two )

Once the engine is together it would have to be installed into the Lanos and driven around for a couple of weeks naturally aspirated to break it in ( roughly 500km to 1000km to make sure )

The one thing I don't know for sure is how long it would take to have the tranny built..... I know the owner of a cryotreatment place.... and shotpeening and nitrating can be done relatively quickly.

Ideally it would be nice to have the tranny rebuilt at the same time by someone who is familiar with race/rally tranny prep work.

Parts from UK/Europe might take a while to get here.... I guess it depends on the cost of shipping.

Wiring and Tuning the car would probalby be a pain..... I could see that taking a couple of weeks to sort out.

So........ it's hard to say how long it would take for the build up..... there are lots of variables when it comes to machine shop time and part availability.

If you were serious about the project I could start looking into it right away and start in on a 1.6L

Even if you backed out I could still put the 1.6L into one of my other cars (most likely my Lanos)

Chris
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos
AveoSSTurbo

Post by AveoSSTurbo »

if you could get started with out a deposit that would be great....i am really looking into this...its a loan to do this or trading in my aveo for a faster car....either way it will cost the same amount of money.....and time is really no huge issue....the only thing would be that i can only take a week out from work to put the engine in and what not....so Spectral8x@hotmail.com is my email for you to talk any kind of specifics.